Epilogue

~Friday 3rd May 2013~

"Eden, what are you doing here?" Arian gripped Eden's shoulders, rousing him from the numb trance he had slipped into, "Eden? Peter called me, there's a body I need to pick up, what are you doing here?" Eden clutched onto Arian's sleeves, very nearly collapsing to the floor, unable to hold up the crushing weight within him anymore. It felt like his whole world was collapsing around him. Like there was a black hole that had sucked everything and decimated it from existence.

"Rei was arrested," Eden whispered, feeling the tears drip down his cheeks once again, "they're blaming him," he rasped, his voice in shreds from the sobbing and yelling he had done only a few moments ago. He didn't have the energy to shout or scream anymore. He didn't have the energy to do anything anymore. He just wanted to curl up somewhere warm and drift off to some unknown place where he didn't have to deal with the pain anymore.

"Eden, what do you mean they're blaming Rei? Who died, Eden?" Arian's eyes were wide, fear and dismay swirling within them. Eden didn't want to have to break the news. He didn't want to say it. If he said then it was real. He wasn't just in some waking nightmare. He was really...

"Eden," Arian's voice became stern all of a sudden, a frown darkening his previously empathetic expression, "tell me," he demanded, tightening his grip on Eden's arms to the point he would probably leave bruises. It made no difference to Eden, he couldn't feel anything. Feeling something might have helped. Or it might have sent him into a downward spiral. Either way, at least he wouldn't be stuck in that numb purgatory he was drowning in at that moment.

"Malcolm," Eden whispered, feeling the pain swell up within him, the agony. It wasn't just mental. It was physical. Every inch of Eden ached at the thought of what he had witnessed. His muscles throbbed and his head pounded, that wasn't even mentioning his heart. That was a whole new level of pain. One that he didn't have words to explain.

The closest that would come to even beginning to understand the agony he was going through was setting yourself on fire and just allowing the flames to burn. Feeling your skin bubbling off your bones, and your skeleton turning to ash. Being conscious for every torturous moment, then reliving the moment a thousand times over all at once. And that was still miniscule in comparison to Eden's grief.

"W-What?" Arian was stark white, tears in his own eyes as he stared at Eden, shaking his head in disbelief, "no, n-no, Eden, he can't be. He- He isn't. Please, tell me this is just some sick joke. Please, Eden," Arian's voice cracked awfully, tears beginning their tracks down his cheeks, and all Eden could do was wrap his arms around the man and hope to give him some comfort, or at least share in their grief.

"He's gone, Ari."

"Will the jury foreperson please stand?" the judge's booming voice roused Eden from his thoughts, which he wasn't sure whether to be thankful for or not. He had been doing that a lot lately, drifting off into his own mind, torturing himself with the sickening memories that plagued his subconscious. Maybe he was punishing himself, maybe he liked the pain, maybe it made him feel alive when everything was urging him to die. It certainly would make it easier.

"Has the jury reached a unanimous verdict?" Eden lifted his head, raising his gaze to the only standing man in the courtroom, the one who held the answers that the boy was already well aware of. He dragged his gaze to his left when he felt something touch his hand, seeing Arian watching him with a feeble smile on his lips. He felt the man squeeze his hand, making him aware of the ring that he adorned. A day ago, that might have caused him some degree of pain. Not anymore. He didn't feel pain anymore. His nerve endings had been seared away by the flames that licked at his skin constantly. Some people would enjoy the numb sensation. Eden detested it.

"Yes, your honour," Eden didn't bother to hold his breath as the man handed the piece of paper he held to the bailiff, who in turn passed it to the judge to read briefly. He knew the answer, he wasn't particularly pleased to be present for the hearing. Resting his head on Arian's shoulder, Eden returned his gaze to his lap, far too aware of the prying eyes that were scrutinizing his every move. Everyone in that courtroom knew the truth, as did the people outside. Eden no longer bothered to deny it. What was the point?

"The jury finds the defendant not guilty," bizarrely, the room remained in an eerie silence. Not even a breath to be heard. Eden knew all eyes were on him but all he could do was sigh heavily and try to take some comfort in Arian's arm wrapping around his waist. It wasn't Malcolm but... well, nothing would ever be Malcolm. Eden had lost that tiny sliver of happiness forever.

"The jury is thanked and excused. Court is adjourned."

Fin.