Chapter Forty

~Sunday 28th April 2013~

"He asked you what?" Lex exclaimed, shock relayed clearly over his voice through the phone.

"He asked me to move in with him. Me and Audrey," Eden played with the hem of his shirt, still feeling just about as surprised as Lex sounded despite having been told the news a week ago, "I know he's my dad but don't you think it's a bit quick of a choice? I don't want him doing this just because he pities me," Eden was usually quite honest with Lex, despite Malcolm still not being a particular fan of him, they had remained close.

"Parents don't pity, they help. That's what he's doing, he's trying to help," that was exactly what Malcolm had said when Eden had told him, "it's understandable though, you being a little apprehensive. I mean, take away your blood relation, this man is practically a stranger. You have to decide whether you're gonna be comfortable living with him. Going around for dinner every few weeks is completely different than actually living in the same house as someone, seeing them twenty-four-seven, not being able to take a breath away if you really need to."

"You sound like you're speaking from experience," Lex had never spoken much about his other family, other than mentioning his uncle that he was close to and the fact that he was an only child. Eden had never seen a picture of his parents around, or even caught him on the phone to either of them. He assumed a bad relationship had ended on even worse terms so had never brought them up.

"I left home when I was sixteen, my parents weren't abusive or anything, it wasn't that bad, I just couldn't take them controlling my life. I doubt Mitchell will present that kind of issue but, honestly, Eden, you never know. We're looking at two extremes here," Lex always seemed to present the best advice even in situations that he hadn't experienced himself. Eden had often mentioned he should go on to be a therapist but Lex was never fond of the idea. Apparently he liked to give advice to those he cared about and thought if he didn't know the person in detail then his advice might not be as effective. A good counter-argument, although it didn't change Eden's mind.

"If you want another example," Wyatt's voice crackled over the receiver, sounding more distant than Lex's, leading Eden to believe he was maybe laid with his head on the other boy's lap. Eden would argue that was the best way to sleep. He loved when Malcolm and he laid on the couch like that, with the man's head resting in his lap, giving him the opportunity to play with his hair. It put his lover to sleep almost instantly.

"My adoptive parents were great. I moved in with them when I was fifteen, couldn't have been happier. I'd only met with them three times before they decided to adopt me, I'd go for it, Eden. Then again, it's not like your dad is gonna go anywhere any time soon, you don't have to worry about death catching up with the two of you," Eden felt a smile weave onto his face, happy for Lex that he had found someone so caring. Wyatt was amazing, and the perfect match for Lex. That was another reason Eden was leaning toward accepting his father's offer, he didn't want to be in Lex's way for the rest of the boy's life, it was his apartment after all. Eden just made having Wyatt over an issue that had to be contended with every time the consideration was there. Eden was beginning to feel out of place in the apartment, and he didn't want Lex to feel that way either. It wouldn't be fair.

"You don't have to stay if you don't like it there either," Wyatt continued, "that was always an option with me, you're allowed to leave any time you want if you're really uncomfortable. Plus Lex was exaggerating, you won't have to be around them twenty-four-seven, you still have work and you still have a social life. You're not gonna be imprisoned in that house with your family," when put that way, Eden could say yes to his father immediately.

"Alright Mr 'I was adopted so I know what I'm talking about'," Lex teased, the mocking tone obviously in his voice making Eden giggle, "no need to contradict everything I say, sweetheart," judging by the few seconds of silent, Eden had a feeling the two were getting a bit distracted with one another and made the decision to cut the call short. He didn't want to be interrupting them.