Chapter Forty-One

~Wednesday 1st May 2013~

"What are you muttering about?" Malcolm looked up upon hearing Reivon's voice, having not even noticed him enter his office.

"Nothing," Malcolm lied smoothly, exiting out of the various tabs he had open on his phone, knowing the vampire had a speed like no other and wouldn't shut up about their contents if he got his hands on them.

"You're a shoddy liar, Mal, you know I'm not stupid," Reivon strode further into the room, settling in the chair opposite Malcolm, clearly showing the man he wouldn't allow the issue to be brushed under the rug and forgotten, "I could hear you from my office. You kept muttering about Eden, calling him Eden Reed-"

"Alright, shut up, I don't need you broadcasting it to the whole building," Malcolm interrupted swiftly, probably a stupid move in the end, he had given Reivon the exact information he needed to figure out the missing pieces of the puzzle.

"Holy shit, Mal, you proposed," Malcolm rolled his eyes at Reivon's exclamation, glowering at him until the vampire realised his faux pas with the volume control, "sorry, sorry, I couldn't help it. Forgive me if I'm a little shocked, we are supposed to be dating after all," Malcolm simply ignored Reivon's final comment, knowing the man was just trying to be funny.

"Why would you be shocked? It was bound to happen at some point, I love him," Malcolm acted very nonchalant with the situation, as though his proposal to Eden was so obvious. Maybe it wasn't, maybe he was simply biased.

"Well, it's not that you're not the marrying type, and Eden is perfect for you. It's just..." it wasn't often that Reivon was lost for words, Malcolm found it somewhat amusing watching him struggle.

"I never mentioned I was lonely," Malcolm found the correct terms for Reivon, receiving a mere nod from the vampire, "I broke our little rule, didn't I?"

"You were the one to instigate it, I thought you would have been the first to use it. You never did though, even when you knew you liked Eden. Why?" Malcolm hadn't anticipated some form of interrogation that morning, he had just wanted to come into the office and work for once. He hadn't achieved that either way.

He had been completely distracted thinking about Eden, as usual. It wasn't wrong for him to be excited, they were engaged, they were going to get married. Malcolm was ecstatic. He had already spent half an hour looking at possible venues, wondering whether Eden would want something traditional or if he would want to take a more unorthodox route. Malcolm didn't care, he would give his lover whatever he desired. There was no amount of money that Malcolm wouldn't be willing to pay to make their wedding perfect. Not for himself. For his husband to be.

"We weren't supposed to be together, I didn't accept my feelings for him for a long time. I didn't want to complicate everything by informing you all that I was actively looking for someone."

"You thought if you didn't admit that you wanted him then the feelings would be easier to control," Malcolm nodded, Reivon had put it perfectly, "you know now that that was never gonna happen? You two were practically made for each other, as this whole situation shows," a smile tugged up the corners of Malcolm's mouth as he twisted the osmium ring that he still adorned. He was well aware that Shai wasn't going to be a problem anymore, and thankful he still didn't know the details, but he chose to continue wearing the ring. Not only because it meant there would be no questions asked but also because it was a present from Eden. And that meant a lot to him.

"How did you do it?" Reivon inquired, a glimmer of happiness flicker through those dark eyes of his. He may be a naturally quite satirical being however he did still care for his friends and empathised solely for them in the situations that required it.