A birth-day to remember

Arnav flicked through the files on his desk, lost in his thoughts. Aman touched his shoulder, tapping it gently. 

"Earth to ASR." He nudged Arnav, causing him to break out of his reverie. 

"What are you doing here?" Arnav looked up at his PA-Manager cum Best Friend.

Aman shrugged, a smile that Arnav had grown to despise over the years, rested on his lips. A smile that told Arnav how much the boy standing in front of him knew the Arnav that he so desperately fought to keep under wraps, how much he understood the man that Arnav vehemently denied to be.

"What?" Arnav asked, eyeing him warily.

"My chocolates?" Aman held his hand out, making Arnav to crack out a small smile at his expense.

Arnav sighed, "I don't believe you Mathur." He shook his head at Aman and despite himself, reached for the drawer and took out a huge bar of chocolate.

"Thank you." Aman smiled, his eyes shining in ecstasy. Arnav smiled too, watching the boy treasure the chocolate as if it were the most expensive gift he had gotten.

***

Arnav held his mother's fingers with his hand, walking inside the huge Chhaya Orphanage. 

"Why have we come here mumma?" Arnav asked, curiosity shining in his molten chocolate orbs. Ratna smiled, her eyes softening at her son's expression.

"This is the orphanage we got you from, and now we're returning you to your home." Anjali responded, before Ratna could get the words out of her mouth, and grinned mischievously.

Arnav's hold tightened on his mother's hand, his expression turning mildly terrified.

"Chotte, your sister is messing with you." Ratna comforted her son, giving her daughter a stern look making her pout.

"We are here to make donations chotte, because it's your 10th birthday." Arvind explained patiently. "Just like we did for Anju Bitiya's birthday a few months back.

"But that orphanage was different." Arnav frowned, "Right Baba?"

Arvind smiled, scooping his prince in his arms and kissed his forehead. "Yes. It was indeed.

"There are many orphanages around the country and quite a few in and around Lucknow, and that means just as many kids need playmates." Ratna said softly 

"We're allowed to play with the kids?" Anjali asked excitedly.

"You are." Ratna gave her kids a green signal.

***

Arnav was watching the kids running around, playing in the garden of the orphanage when suddenly, his eyes stopped at a boy sitting under a tree, with his head between his knees. 

Arnav walked up to the boy, and settled next to him under the shade of the tree.

"Hey, What are you doing here all alone?" Arnav asked softly, touching his shoulder. The boy looked up, surprised at being approached by someone. A flick of fear flashed in his eyes, and he staggered to his feet, faster than Arnav had ever seen before.

Arnav got to his own feet and followed the boy.

"Wait, I didn't want to scare you." Arnav called after him, and the boy stopped.