More Than Just A Stranger

Arnav settled into the seat, reclining backwards with a sigh. Looking around, he realised that he was one of the first people to have boarded the plane along with a couple more passengers with special needs who were still getting settled into their places with the help of the air hostesses. He let his eyes close, as he moved into a more comfortable position in the chair. 

For a few minutes, he tried to stop thinking. Thinking made most of the things a lot more difficult for him than they had to be. Thoughts, about his family, about his sister, about his father and the reason that brought him here, made him vulnerable and Arnav hated being vulnerable. 

The take off was yet to take another fifteen minutes and he had been sitting here for more than twenty minutes already. Arnav groaned.

What did you think when you came and boarded a flight forty f**ng minutes early. He could all but curse himself.

After what felt like an eternity, he felt the seat next to him dipping as his fellow passenger for the journey arrived, the girl sitting next to him was busy fiddling with her hand bag. Arnav sighed and began to tie the seatbelt.

"Hello. I'm Khushi." The girl chirped, flashing a big smile to him minutes after the plane had taken off 

"Arnav." He replied disinterested, yet for the sake of courtesy. 

"I know, I've read a lot about you. It definitely sounds crazy, but I never thought I'd ever get to see you like.. this close." Khushi confessed cutely, Arnav smirked slightly, leaning against the seat, closing his eyes. 

"So you're a fan." He stated. 

"The biggest fan." She said proudly.

Arnav chuckled. "You're really cute." He told her 

"So, are you going to The USA?" Khushi asked curiously.

"Wasn't it obvious? It's a direct flight." Arnav informed her.

Khushi blushed, embarrassed. "I.. I didn't mean- I.." She tried to form a coherent response.

"Yeah. I'm going to The USA for a week. To Manhattan." Arnav said, smirking at her flustered expression, amused.

"My grandparents live in Manhattan too! I'm going to visit them." Khushi exclaimed, causing Arnav to let out a small smile at her excitement.

Khushi smiled brightly, and continued to chat the other man's ears off receiving mostly non-verbal or one worded responses from him. Arnav had never been one for a conversation. He didn't even know how to start one, or keep one going. Sure, there were exceptions. His sister, his cousins and his father were the only ones who were exempted from his awkwardness or dislike for lengthy conversations, most commonly because they knew how to hold one with him and when to stop. No one apart from his family had ever had the pleasure of holding a conversation with him that had lasted more than 4 minutes. But here, on a plane journey which was to last for a whole day, he had found another exception to his rule. 

Even though it was mostly one sided, Khushi was talking to him for the last forty five minutes and weirdly enough, he was enjoying her endless chattering. Arnav smiled as he answered another one of Khushi's endless questions, while trying to stifle a yawn.

"Are you tired?" Khushi asked softly. Arnav nodded, "It was a long day.

Khushi's eyes shone with concern, "I'm sorry, I didn't know.. you should have told me. Mein toh hoon hi aisi.. dus minute se zyaada chup nahi reh sakti. Bahut badi chatterbox hoon.. I'm sorry.. aap please aaram se.. (I'm like this only.. I can't stay quiet for more than ten minutes at a time.. I'm a big chatterbox.. I'm sorry.. You please rest..)" Khushi spoke frantically making Arnav laugh out loud.