fourteen | tradition

Hazel was already at the second floor landing when she noticed Gabriel jog up behind her, water bottle in hand.

"Second door to the left." He instructed.

She reached for the knob of the only door in the hallway that was ajar.

"This is your room?"

"Yeah, I got pretty lucky." He nudged her inside for a better view.

Though it wasn't necessarily the master suite, it was definitely large enough for suite-like perks. Gabriel didn't care much for vibrant colors which was evident by his classic white walls, the slate gray bedsheets on the king sized bed, the gray steel bed frame, and his simple striped area rug. The only color came from his desk area where a small collection of photos were stuck on the wall above his Mac desktop.

"When I joined Rebel, a veteran was moving out so I was able to take the room with the walk-in closet and bathroom." He handed her the water bottle and waved to his perfectly made bed for her to sit on.

"When did you join?"

"A little less than a year ago." He pointed to one of the vibrant photos. "That was right before I got on a plane to New York."

"Who's that?" Hazel squinted at the photo, noticing an elderly woman beside a casually dressed Gabriel. They were both grinning as if it were the most special moment to them.

"My grandmother."

"Your grandmother knows?!"

"Well, she knew." He shrugged. "She passed away shortly after we took that picture but she supported my decision to do porn. I lived with her for a long time so she knew once I set my mind to something, it would happen." Gabriel said, sitting next to Hazel on the bed and laying back on the pillows.

"How about you? Does your family know about Doll House?"

Hazel felt her body tighten at the question. It came often but she always had the same reaction because she never knew when to expect it.

"Yeah, well-no-they know something." She sighed. "I don't know. It's complicated."

But it wasn't complicated because most of her family knew about her new life but chose to ignore it and her because of her little sister. Hazel had left when things got worse and when her family found out what she was doing, it was easier to excommunicate. The more immersed she got in her career, the more resentment she felt was brewing with them all.

Her situation was easy to explain in her mind, but it was difficult to vocalize which was why she avoided doing so.

"Are you uncomfortable talking about them?"

"They're uncomfortable talking about me." Hazel let out a nervous chuckle. "Since I moved to New York, 'abandoned' my little sister, and have sex for money, they'd rather just pretend I don't exist." Hazel sighed.

"You have a little sister." Gabriel smiled tenderly but Hazel looked down at her palms and felt her throat tighten. "Look, I don't know your life but I'm sure she'll admire you as she gets older. I mean, look at you."

She didn't feel as though she needed to confirm or deny or even comment. Especially not with Gabriel. Hazel knew his presence was temporary and the obligatory sharing of secrets to build trust between strangers didn't apply in this case.

Gabriel must have sensed her growing discomfort because he hopped off of the bed with a grunt then clapped his hands together to get Hazel's attention.

"C'mon, it's a Rebel tradition to grab a shake after a live."

"Oh no, I should head back to-"

"Okay, you caught me, it's not a tradition," He stepped close to her and touched her chin, "but you look like you need some cream in you." He said. Hazel's eyes widened and she shoved him playfully.

"You're gross!"

"Of course I am." He laughed, walking over to the door. "Now c'mon before I make another sexual joke about cream." Gabriel waved his hand for Hazel to walk out with him.

Why not? Hazel thought, a milkshake never hurt anyone.