Chapter 4

Maxon

Sometimes you wake up in the morning and you just smile. You know it's going to be a good day. All the colors seems to be a bit more vivid. The sun is shining a little bit brighter. Every scent is stronger than usual and every sound is happier than normal. Everything is just right, so you smile. You know today was is going to be a good day.

Somedays you wake up and the world kinda just sucks. You don't feel like getting out of bed. Your breakfast doesn't taste as good as usual. You can't figure out what to wear and everything seems too bright, too happy. Today will not be a good day.

For me, I didn't wake up with the day feeling like much of anything. I had no trouble getting out of bed but it wasn't like I was racing off to school. The sun was shining just the normal amount. My breakfast tasted like it always did. The colors were the same shade they always have been. It wasn't a good morning, nor was it a bad morning. It was just....a morning.

School went fine. May and I walked to school, making small talk and messing around as usual. And when we got there, she went off to do whatever freshman's do and I met up with Aspen to walk to first period. All my classes went off as usual. I had homework, but not too much homework. I got to all my classes on time and completed all my class work in an orderly manner. Aspen and I only talked a little bit and I only got the side eye from a teacher once. Nothing phenomenal happened but the day was average.

May and I walked home from school and each went are separate ways when we got there. I walked the neighborhood in search of something interesting to photograph and she went into the garage to paint with my dad. Everything was going as it always did.

It wasn't until we sat down for dinner, that my day began to curve in one direction, good or bad.

"Dinner!" My mom called, her voice drifting through the open kitchen window to where I was outside in the backyard. I squinted my eye and zoomed in on my camera, a fraction of an inch. Get the angle just right and......snap! Perfect!

My mom stuck her head out the window. "Maxon! Dinner is ready."

"I'm coming, mom," I replied, heading inside the house. I set my camera on the console table and looked around the kitchen. Mom was reaching up on her tippy toes to get the coffee cups off the top shelf of the cabinets and my family members were still no where to be seen, each slowly making their way from their respective hiding places. I reached around her and plucked a few cups off the top shelf, and she slid aside so I could grab the rest. I looked over at the stove and saw a boiling pot of soup which made sense. We used coffee cups for bowls because it was cheaper than buying a set of both, and as a working mother of 5, Magda Singer could not live without coffee. Neither could May, when my mom would actually let her drink some.

"Thank you, honey," My mom smiled and began ladling soup into a coffee mug. She handed it to me but it was quickly snatched out of my hands by May, who had snuck up behind me.

"May," My mom warned.

May shrugged. "He can wait for the next cup. Oh and dad said he will be inside in a minute. He's finished up a section of his painting."

Mom nodded, used to this, and handed me another coffee mug full of soup. I grabbed a spoon out of the drawer and headed for the table, sitting next to May who had just burnt her mouth on a spoonful of not fully cooled soup. I blew on my spoonful a few times and ate it smugly. She just rolled her eyes.