Chapter 13

I leaned back in my chair and sighed loudly. Another boring day of work. Another heartbreaking problem that I can't fix. Wonderful.

"What is if this time?" Anne asked.

"It is nothing in particular. Just complete helplessness as usual."

She skillfully maneuvered a needle through silk at a speed faster than I think I've done anything. Her eyes glanced down to her work to me swiftly as she multitasked. Currently she was a seamstress, therapist, friend, and assistant of sorts. My maids have decided that I don't really function as a human being when one of them isn't around.

Basically they're taking turns babysitting me.

"Why are you being helpless than?" Anne asked, not even bothering to look at me.

"What?" I whispered.

"Look Ames, I've known you for a long time. And it's always hurt me to see how cold you have to be to get through the day. Stone cold. I hate seeing you like that because it's not good for you to be so pretend all the time, emotionless."

"I have to be."

"You did," She agreed. Anne stabbed the needle into the dress and set it down next to her. "But something inside you broke when you found out about Maxon and I've seen you break down countless times since. You need to piece yourself back together."

"I don't understand what you're saying Anne," I stuttered.

"You've alway told me that even if you have to pretend for your whole life, it would be worth it to be queen some day. You need to pretend again. Paint a smile on your face and pretend like you are so in love with Maxon that you can barely stand to be apart form him. Put on a show. Be the Princess I know you can be so one day you can be queen. And then you can achieve all the things you've alway wanted. You're stubborn and you don't want to give in to you're father. But right now, there is no other choice. Make you're Dad happy. Play the role of the lovesick girl. This is just obstacle and it's taking you a little longer to get past it."

"I don't want to give up," I admitted. "I don't want to give in to his control."

"You're not giving up. The America I know, never gives up. You're doing the opposite. You're doing what you have to."

I lifted my chin up and breathed in deeply. She's right. I won't give in. I won't break down. I am going to be the best damn fiancé that there has ever been so that I can be the best damn queen Illea's ever had.

I only cuss in my head, like a true lady.

"Well than I'll get back to work," I said, lifting the next file.

"Nope. That's not in the schedule," Anne said.

"Schedule?"

"Yes. I received you're schedule this morning."

"And you didn't share it with me?"

Anne ignored me. "You have a photoshoot next. With Maxon. Engagement photos."

"Engagement photos?" I yelped.

She nodded.

Oh god. This not giving up thing was going to be harder than I thought.