Bad Kisser

It was silly running away like that, but my anxiety just took over. It brought me all the way over to Nick's office. My brother wasn't present at the moment according to his polite assistant. He announced that with the most boring voice I had ever heard. He did bring me some tea which I appreciated it. He let me stay in Nick's office so I could wait for my brother in privacy. I was getting pretty comfortable in the armchair before Nick's desk when a soft knock made my heart race. I glanced over my shoulder, surprised to see my dad walking in. He closed the door behind him and took a seat in the armchair beside me. His eyes were kind, full of love. He was worried about me, but he didn't start questioning me. Just being here. I appreciated it.

"You feel better? Do I need to get you some chocolate?"

I smiled, "Yes, I'd love some chocolate right now!" I then stopped dad when he wanted to get up, "But I haven't had lunch yet. I don't think it's a good idea to fill up on chocolate."

Dad brushed it off, "You can eat whatever you want for lunch. If you want to eat chocolate then you should eat it. You're an adult, Nina. You don't have to answer to anyone but yourself."

"I wish my head would get that too."

Dad tapped my temple, "The mind is a tricky thing, we can't control it. We can do things to calm ourselves and drown out the negativity. We can surround ourselves with good things, positive things to feel less emotionally drained. So how about that chocolate?"

I grinned at him, "Were you trying to sell me on your chocolate again, dad? Trust me I love Merigold Chocolate. There is no need to oversell it."

He gave me a pat on the head as you'd do to a puppy. We were never quite like a warm family who said 'I love you' and hugged things over all the time. But we cared about each other, we were there for each other. Today I could really feel it. It made that whole scene in Mr. Blackwood's office look silly. Now I just wanted to go home, hide out in bed and call it a day. Tomorrow would be a new chance for me but I couldn't do that. I made plans with Lucas, I needed to meet him. He was a cheerful person, he radiated positivity. Right now it was best if I surrounded myself with people like him. Maybe that way I could get back my confidence. I finished my tea when dad came back with a box of delux Merigold Chocolate. He left me to it, he had meetings and other stuff. His words, not mine. I opened the box and popped one piece in my mouth. It was so good, sweet and melted in my mouth. Dad was right, this did help. I felt so much better.

"Did you come here to get free chocolate?"

Nick was trying to be funny since I was in a better mood already didn't mind. He closed the door behind him and dropped my bag in the armchair beside me. He flashed me a knowing look, shrugging his jacket off. He placed his jacket on the desk chair and then sat behind his desk.

"You want to talk about it?"

I stared at the bag he gave me back, "So you're close then." I concluded.

"What are you talking about?" He sounded confused.

He was totally oblivious and I was related to him.

"You and Fenna." I nodded to the bag on the chair beside me, "I assume you got that from her."

He still looked confused about what I said, "I did get that from Fenna. She called me to let me know you probably needed that back. I picked it up at the lobby. Then I came back here."

I raised an eyebrow at him, "She called you?"

Nick frowned, he was seriously not following me. I loved just how oblivious he was to romance, it wasn't fun for Fenna who decided she liked him but it was fun for me to watch. Nick at this point got annoyed with me for staying on the subject of Fenna. I couldn't let it go though. It was my opportunity to get to know a bit more about Nick and the kind of person that he is. I also might be able to help Fenna.