The Video

Mom asked me to accompany her to her usual spa to groom for tonight's benefit gala. I had to look perfect for tonight so I couldn't refuse. I accepted her invitation and let Joel drive me around town. He mentioned he liked driving me around a lot more. It could be because the atmosphere wasn't tense whenever I was seated in the back seat of his car. Jacob was a different story. He was no fun when someone didn't remind him not to be glued to his phone or talk business all day.

"You should give me a call when you're ready to leave, Miss Merigold," Joel told me in that polite voice which annoyed me so much.

"Nina." I corrected him.

"I'll get it right somaeday." I could hear the smile in his voice.

He would never get it right because I was marrying Jacob Blackwood. No matter how many times I would correct him he'd always speak to me in that polite tone. It was in his nature. It was probably insensitive of me to try and push him so I needed to stop it.

"Okay, I'll give you a call," I promised him.

He got out of the car first to open the door for me. Grabbing my things I climbed out of the car and met up with mom at the reception desk. She looked more than ready to start her grooming day. A very helpful employee was assigned to us to give us the VIP experience. Private rooms and getting served lunch and having healthy juices. This was mom's favorite place to wind down at and the staff knew exactly how she liked things. It made things a lot easier for us.

"Let me guess." Mom and I were getting an essential oil massage to recharge, "You're going for a manicure and a pedicure and that's it."

I glanced at mom, "I like the way they do my nails."

Mom eyed me suspiciously, "So how did Jacob respond to our family dinner last night?"

She was trying to interrogate me about the man who she wasn't certain about at first. She told me to go after what I wanted but I had a feeling she preferred me with Jacob instead of Lucas despite the gentle guy being her friend's son. It had a lot more to do with status and money than his personality. Everyone could agree that Jacob wasn't exactly good company. Yet she seemed to like to baby him more than she did with Nick. It was embarrassing.

"It was okay."

"Did he say that?" Mom continued, not getting the hint.

I couldn't deal with this but I couldn't exactly freak out about her being too obvious about her liking toward the guy.

"Look, mom, Jacob isn't exactly the warmest person on the planet, okay? It was dinner and it went fine. He doesn't mind it but that's it."

Mom still didn't get the hint, she brushed my words off with a flick of her hand, "He will get used to us. He didn't say he hated spending time with your family so I don't see a problem here. Just give him time."

I sat up which made the woman who was helping untie the knots in my back step back immediately, I felt sorry for doing that but I couldn't listen to this preaching about how to deal with Jacob Blackwood from someone who didn't know the guy at all. Even if she was my mother.

"I am giving him time." I told her and smiled at the woman who patiently waited, pretending not to listen into our conversation, "I'm ready to get my nails done." I let the woman know.

Spa day wasn't exactly fun for me since all mom wanted to talk about was Jacob. I was marrying the guy and I wasn't that obsessed with him. I was getting tired of the subject and was actually grateful when spa day with mom ended so I could go home wash my hair and get ready for tonight. Have afternoon tea with Mrs. Quake who was at the moment better company than mom.