Killer in a Slasher Movie

I was nervous. Working for Mr. Blackwood had been easy, he rarely wanted to meet in person. The trust was something I felt proud of. It could all be gone now because one stupid barely there kiss. His email seemed normal, the average kind of email I received from the man. That he wanted to talk was different but it didn't make me want to run for the hills either. I was nervous because I wanted to impress the man. It was a weird need I had. I wanted the man to look at me with desire in his eyes. That he saw me as a woman and not just another employee. I was utterly screwed. My phone rang, it was barely over nine so I assumed it was either mom or Nick. Dad usually texted or emailed me. I grabbed my phone, answering it since it was Nick.

"Good morning," I answered hesitantly.

"Good morning, dear sister." I could hear the smile in his voice.

"What's up?" I asked curiously.

"A little birdy told me you're meeting Mr. Blackwood today."

I sat down on the foot of my bed, staring at my black knee-high boots. I wore a burgundy colored skirt, a black turtleneck shirt tucked into it. It wasn't fancy but it wasn't casual either. It wouldn't look like I tried too hard.

"I haven't told anyone about this meeting. So does your little birdy work for Mr. Blackwood?"

"Maybe."

It sounded like we were kids again, the back and forth was fun and all but I wasn't in the mood. I needed to make fun of myself in the mirror some more. I had no idea where my confidence went but lately, I had none. I glanced down at my nails, my manicure still in place. I needed to keep it up this time, no slacking off and being lazy. My job was probably going to pick up after mom shared the news with her friends and co-workers about what I did. So it was a good thing to look put together. It showed professionalism not to mention showing that I actually knew what I was doing. People always talked about appearances being not important, that it was all about skills, but that was a fucking lie. People judged others by the way they looked. That was the way of life. We just pretended we didn't care about how others looked to make ourselves feel better about the person that we are.

"Is it his assistant? Are you getting cozy with them?" I asked.

"She is a friend." Nick confirmed, "I just wanted to wish you good luck. You can do this."

"Thank you."

"Okay, I'm going to let you go I have a meeting in ten."

I heard shuffling in the background, Nick was getting ready for his meeting. Always professional. Nick was dedicated to his job, I admired that. That he took time out of his busy day just to wish me luck was a sign that maybe we did grow a little closer these days. I loved it.

"Okay, thank you for calling. I appreciate it."

"Do you want to come over for dinner and a movie tonight?"

It sounded amazing but I had a prior engagement. Nick was going to love hearing about that.

I grinned, "I have a date tonight. Dinner and a movie, actually."

"Really?" He didn't sound surprised, but there was no way he could know about this. I definitely did not share the news with anyone and I was pretty sure Lucas didn't either, "With the tall guy?"

I chuckled, "I'm pretty sure Mr. Blackwood is taller than him, but yeah."

"I don't pay much attention to Mr. Blackwood."

"But you do pay attention to my dates? Are you being a cliché older brother right now?"

"Yes, I might be playing that part right now. Do you have a problem with that?" He asked.