Prologue

I couldn't stay. I couldn't stay where my mate was having sex with others, hurting me repeatedly. I couldn't stay and see what happened to my best friend and her mate. I knew that she was going to be okay without me.

She had her mate and the other pack members. She didn't need someone so... useless. She didn't need me, the rejected mate that a Beta didn't even want.

I fiddled with the fridge and got some food. I had no idea where I was going or how long I would be gone, but I had to leave. I had to before I lose my mind with what he had been doing to me. I closed the fridge door and jumped when I saw her standing there, her eyes holding this pained look in them. "Sk-" I stopped talking when she held up her hand and closed my mouth.

"Did you find your mate?" she asked, and I looked down and nodded guiltily. "Were you ever going to tell me?"

"He-" I sighed and shook my head. I wouldn't have told her that I had met him. I didn't want to. I knew that her anger could have made her kill, and I didn't want that. "No," I said softly.

"He rejected you, didn't he?" she asked. Her gaze was on me, and I could tell that she was trying to search for clues. Her anger filled the room around us, and my heart pounded in fear because I knew how scary she could become when angered.

I hesitated but nodded my head. "Please, don't hurt him," I blurted out before she could say anything. "I-I don't..." I looked down and licked my lips, not wanting him to get hurt because of me.

Sky gritted her teeth but nodded her head, trying to curb her hanger. "Fine," she said coldly, and my shoulders sagged in relief because I knew she wouldn't hurt him, at least not as bad as she wanted to. "But I am going to punch him in the nose. I won't hurt him as bad as I want to."

I nodded my head, feeling grateful that she wouldn't hurt him so bad. I tucked a strand of blonde hair before licking my lips. "I can't stay here," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "H- he-" I shook my head and sighed, lifting my head. I took a deep breath and looked at her, my eyes filling up with tears.

"He had sex with someone?" she asked. Her nostrils flared with anger, and I could tell that she really wanted to hurt him now.

I hesitated but nodded my head. "He doesn't want me because I am a Rogue," I whispered, remembering what he had told me. "I-I can't stay here," I said again, hoping and praying that she would let me leave. "I-I-"

"I know," she said. She handed me the bag that she was holding. "Put your bag in here. It'll hold."

I hesitated, not taking it. "But that is the bag that Jerecho gave you..."

"And I can get another one later. He has a restaurant in town, and I know that Drake wants to meet him. Jerecho probably wants to threaten Drake, anyways."

I nodded my head and cleared my throat. I pulled her into a hug, and she stiffened before she hugged me back just as tight. I felt warm and protected in her embrace, but I knew that it was only going to be for a little while. "Thank you for understanding," I whispered, breathing in her scent and memorizing it.

She placed a kiss on my forehead, and I closed my eyes and enjoyed the warmth that she provided me. She blinked back tears, and I could tell that she wanted to cry. "Do not kill yourself. Do you hear me? I can't lose you, too."

I pulled back and gave her a watery smile. My lips quivered as I tried not to cry, wanting to be as brave as her. "I won't," I promised. "I can't let you stay here by yourself with that crazy cousin of yours."

Sky snorted and wiped my eyes when tears leaked out of them. "Come, I will take you to the pack entrance. I will make sure that Jerecho knows to keep an eye on you, alright?"

I nodded my head and handed her the bag that I had packed, and she placed the bag into the one she had made for me. I took the bag from her and placed it on my back before looking at my best friend and Alpha expectantly.

She studied me before nodding her head and walking out the door with her following suit.

I couldn't stay here. I knew that I couldn't stay. I was excited and nervous about leaving her behind. I had no idea what the future would hold, but I was ready to find myself.

I didn't want to be known as the Beta's rejected rouge mate for the rest of my life. I wanted to be known as something else, something better. I just didn't know when and where I would find it.

Maybe, just maybe, I could find a place that I could call home.