04.Fate or Faith?

Many might wonder why I live in this run down building, in this very dangerous part of the town, when I get paid so much.The truth is with the boss,gigs don't come all the time and we have no direct contact with the clients.And upholding one of the most important rules of the job takes a lot out of the income.Buying an expensive dress, carrying expensive weaves, making sure my glam is up to date and my foot wear is en vogue,costs more than a cent.Feeding well, taking care of my skin so I do not look like a slum whore,and fulfilling my dreams.

Yes, people like me have dreams,big dreams.That I am a whore doesn't make me less human.I do want a better life than this.

It's been three weeks since the last gig and I am bored out of my mind.I and Gracie are not really into parties.But you can only read so much,I think to myself as I drop my novel by Johanna Lindsey.

I turn to face grace who is stretched out on the couch,also reading a novel.We had been studying seriously of late and decided to take it easy for a while,hence the novel.

"Babe,how would you like to go to the mall?" I ask, knowing she would follow me to the ends of the Earth it self but just needing to confirm.

Before I even finish my sentence,she practically throws her novel away and runs to the wardrobe to get something appropriate to wear.

I start to laugh.Gracie could kill for food and the mall is where all the goodies are at.

When we are ready,we hale a cab that  drives us to Ikeja mall,one of the biggest malls in Lagos.

As we walk in,I hold Gracie's arm because she is bound to wander,in the name of "sightseeing" that always ended in unnecessary expenses.In Short, Gracie was a handful.

As we walk into the shopping section,I with a small basket and Gracie with a cart, of course.We just talk about what we see,what we need and the prices attached to some goods.

I pick up a pack of tampons,cotton wool,some groceries and cleanser for my face,While Gracie picks up virtually one of everything in the mall.Oh Gracie.

As we make our way to the cashier,I stand in line behind a heavily pregnant young woman who glowed like she had been touched by liquid gold.I just couldn't stop staring at her because that is how happiness looked like.She shone with it.

Grace taps me on my shoulder, letting me know she  forgot to pick Pringles and would be back in a few minutes,with half of the mall.

When she leaves,I wait patiently for my turn as the pregnant lady's purchases are registered.Until I felt a presence behind me.

I felt him.

HIM!

The man I have literally been unable to forget,I do not know how I know it's him, but I do,I can feel his essence.His aura dominates the place,it's almost intoxicating.

I slowly turn around to look at him and our eyes lock on to each other and I see a flicker of recognition.

"You" he says.

"You" I reply,and we both laugh.

"How are you?"he asks in that deep baritone and I feel my legs turn to jelly.

"Fine,you?" I reply

"Good,good" he says and we both stay silent for some time.

"Are you going home immediately after you're done?" He asks out of the blue.

"Yes,why?" I ask, wanting to know why he asked such a thing.

"Good,I'll drop you off" Did I hear right? The nerve of the guy! He didn't even ask if I need his help in the first place.