31.The Daymare

Flashback

Where are mom and dad? They are usually in the sitting room when I come back from school. I can't wait to tell them how my last high school paper was.

I headed to my room first to change out of my uniform, then took a quick shower and headed to the kitchen. It was suspiciously empty. Usually, our maid Ella, would be preparing for dinner by this time and I would come to pinch out of some of the things she might have already made, having her threaten to hit my knuckles with a spoon. I smile a little at the thought as I head for the large double doored fridge at the side of the edge of the kitchen. Maybe she went to get groceries.

I open both doors at the same time, looking in to see if I can find anything to eat as my stomach continued its incessant growling.

I settled on an Apple and headed back to the sitting room, still wondering where my parents were? I knew they were supposed to be at home as they told me they had no where to be today before I left for work.

I climbed up the stairs again and headed to my parents room, knocking softly on getting to their door.

I knocked for a couple of minutes and got no reply, but I could hear the sound of the televison playing in their room. Thats odd.

I tried the door handle and it gave immediately, I knew mom was going to scold me for badging in without consent, but the quietness in the house was beginning to irk me.

As I stepped into the room, I heard a soft whimper and immediately started to rush to it, but was immediately stopped in my tracks as stepped into a puddle of something wet.

I looked down and immediately began to scream in panic and fear as i realised that my feet wear completely planted in a pool of blood.

As i continued to scream, I heard the whimper again and it shut me up immediately. Oh God! This much blood meant someone was terribly hurt. Please, let it not be mum and dad, but who could possibly get this badly hurt in my parents room.

I gingerly stepped out of the puddle of blood towards the sound, taking care not to slip and turned the curve of the large queen sized bed to find my mum propped against the side of the bed frame and my dad sprawled on the floor with his head in her lap. I didnt fail to notice the way he layed lifeless and immediately began to cry as I rushed towards them.

My mum weakly raised her head to look at me, tears of pain trailing down her cheeks as she pressed a hand to a place underneath her right breast where she had been shot.

I quickly dragged off the sheets off of their bed, baunched it and pressed it to her wound as fresh tears courses down my cheeks as she whimpered.

She opened her mouth to speak, but I interrupted her before she could say a word.

"No, save your strength, please. I'll get help" I said, helping her apply pressure to the wound, while I tried my best not to look at my dad who I knew for sure was dead as he had several bullet wounds littering differents parts of his chest. My focus was on my mum, she had to make it. I can't lose her too.

She weakly shook her head as her eyes brimmed with tears.

"Its too late baby" she whispered, gasping a bit, as if breathing hurt.

"No mom, please don't say that. You'll be fine, I promise" I replied, trying and failing to sound confident as I choked on a sob.

I finally braved up a bit and left my mum to search through my father's pocket to look for his phone, trying as I did not to look at him.

When I found it, I thanked the fates for the trust he had in me when he told me his passwords a few months ago, or did he already know that something like this would happen.

I rushed to my mum's side again and hurriedly opened the phone, as I began to dial our doctors number, my mum held my hand and shook her head.

"There are enemies...everywhere. Trust...no...one, call..no...one" she gasped, coughing heavily.

"Then tell me what to do, please! You can't leave me! Tell me who to call! Mummy please!" I said, as I scrolled through my dads contacts. I knew my dad had no living relatives, but my mum had a sister who I have never met, but if I could at least find her contact, maybe she could help.

"Run baby, before they find you. Run." She said, raising a hand to rub my cheek. smearing some blood as she did, making me sob harder, begging her to tell me what to do. I couldnt run and leave her behind.

"Oh my God, Bri!" I heard grace shout as she rushed forward to kneel beside me still in her uniform, tears trailing down her cheeks as she beheld the horror before us.

"You know the safe password, take the money and run. Don't let them find you, both of you" she said, pull in Grace closer to her.

Grace had come to live with us when I was ten, although we'd been friends before that, as her father had been my father's best friend. When he died, living Grace with no living relative, as her mum had died a few years before, my parents took her in and treated her like their own.

We shook our head as we both cried, begging her not to make us go. She cried too, breathing laboriously as her wound began to take its toll on her.

"Beware...the...jagamolu's. They...did...this. Just run" she said, wheezing in between each word as the life began to slowly fade from her.

"My sister...Dianne...find her. Her address is in the safe"

"Find...her"she said, before her head tilted to the side and she stopped breathing.

I broke into a sob as I watched her eyes glaze over.

"Mummy! Please dont leave me! Mummy please!" I yelled as I shook her, more tears flooding from my eyes as she failed to respond, I shook her harder, begging and crying as it began to register in my mind that both my parents were dead.

I rubbed a hand on my fathers cheek, looking at him as my lip wobbled and my eyes shone with tears. I didnt even get to tell them about my last paper. They wouldn't get to see me graduate from high school. My dad had promised me a new phone if I passed, now he'll never know.

"Daddy, why did you leave me? Why?" I asked as I sobbed, feeling my heart clench as I looked at them, laying lifeless and I couldnt do a single thing about it.

I and Grace sat side by side with our backs against the wall looking at them for what seemed like hours but was actually a few minutes, then I heaved a sigh and headed to the safe which was hidden behind a large photo of my parents on their wedding. I brought the large frame down and imputed the code my dad had thought me a few months ago, when I turned eighteen as he'd claimed I had become an adult and should know this things as "no-one knows tomorrow" which had proven indeed true. Who would have thought that I would lose them both in a day. Death is inevitable, but I never thought I'd be so cursed as to be visited by it so soon and in such a horrid fashion.

When the safe beeped, I opened it and found stacks of money in notes of 500. I counted and found that there were six stacks and a piece of letter with roughly written address on it. It was obvious it was written in haste.

I removed everything and put the picture frame back in place, stepping back a bit to check if it looked normal. Once satisfied, I packed the money and paper in my hand and placed them on my parent's bed.

"Lets pack and find my mum's sister, its not safe here" I said to Grace, who was still seated with her back against the wall and her arms now wrapped around her legs.

Walking around the bed, I leaned down and gave both parents a final kiss before I and grace headed to the room we shared. I threw the money into a duffel bag and added some clothes and sandals and a few necessities.

I shoved the paper into my pocket as I and Grace each left my house with a duffel bag in hand.

I turned back to look at the beautiful modern style building which boasted ten rooms and an inside pool. Somehow, I knew I would never see it again.

We hailed a Cab and went on a journey of no return.