Chapter 6

"Lane, wait up!"

It's the end of the day and all I want to do is go home and get into bed and forget about this stupid project and stupid Neo and her stupid beautiful hair and eyes.

I shoulder my bag, cross my arms and turn to glare at my intruder.

"What?" I snap.

When I realise it's Neo, my posture softens slightly.

"We still need to work on that project at Kyle's." Neo sounds stern but I can hear the shakiness in her voice, like she's hiding something from me.

"That's not due till the end of the year."

Neo takes a few hesitant steps towards me, her lips forming a tight line. "So?" She questions, frowning. "It's better to get it done as soon as possible, rather than rushing to complete it at the end of the year."

Neo has a point and it'll be better for me to get this shitty thing done as soon as so I can go back to ignoring Neo and forgetting all about her and how pretty I think she is.

Plus I can just leave Kyle to help her while I chuck ideas at his head. I've never been good at writing poems and I'm not about to start writing them now.

When no verbal response is given, Neo continues. "I still need you to show me where he lives..."

I debate this for a second. "Fine." I walk off in the opposite direction quickly. "Let's go then."

"Wait!" Neo explodes as she jogs to catch up with me.

"What now new girl?"

Neo says nothing and holds out a set of keys.

I stare at them. "You have got to be kidding me." My mouth gapes. "Of course you have a fucking car."

Neo looks ashamed and starts to walk off slowly, most likely in the direction of said car.

Feeling bad, I attempt to cheer her up. As I catch up to her, I nudge her arm with mine. "That's pretty cool. I wish I had a car."

I have my drivers license, I just don't have a car. For many, many reasons. But you can probably guess the main one.

That's right! Because my parents left me.

It doesn't take us long to reach Neo's car. My mouth drops when I spy it.

"Fuck me." I breathe out to no one in particular.

I'm staring at a 2018 matte black Ford Mustang with white alloy rims and a white stripe running down along the middle of the car.

The car also has a carbon sport spoiler - also painted matte black - with the Ford Mustang's insignia placed on the front grill.

I rub my hand along the roof of the car and whistle. "Fucking hell new girl." Neo grins as she unlocks the car.

"You like it?" She asks as we both jump into the front.

"Like it? I fucking love it!" I look around, noticing the interior matches the colour of the white rims. There's a digital radio in the dashboard with an air freshener hanging from the windscreen mirror.

Neo puts the keys into the ignition and the engine roars to life. I laugh manically and practically bounce in my seat.

It sounds amazing.

I shake my head in disbelief. "I can't believe you have a car like this."

Neo pulls her seat-belt on as I do the same. Safety first kids. "Well, believe it." She smirks.