daisy.

the daisy: the flower of innocence and purity

the daisy: the flower of innocence and purity. it conveys loyal love and "i will never tell"

— in which umi confesses to the girl who sat in the row behind hers.

~

colourful fireworks light up the night sky, dotting the horizon with bright shades of red, blue, and yellow. umi stands, mesmerised, her hand still in kotori's — a warmth she never wanted to let go of.

"oh yeah," kotori says suddenly, her golden eyes fixed on the starry sky. "wasn't honoka-chan supposed to be in detention?"

wouldn't be all that surprised if she decided to sneak out. umi thinks, recalling how the ginger behaved in class.

their conversation was interrupted when another firework was released into the sky, showering the night with colourful sparkles. kotori's eyes were shimmering under the dim light of the street lamp, umi's hand slipping out of hers as she walks closer to the rails, awe spreading across her features.

"wow!" she exclaims, all thoughts of honoka surely vanishing, and umi smiles softly, choosing to stay behind, gaze fixated on the shine in kotori's pretty grey hair as she finishes the last of the takoyaki and throws the bare stick in the nearest trashcan.

beautiful. umi thinks, feeling the tension in her shoulders loosen, the initial stress and horrible feelings disappearing as quickly as they came. her smile just keeps growing as she watches kotori's every movement; as if her grace carried all the beauty in the world. and maybe it did.

would it be too much...?

"umi-chan?"

umi snaps to attention, her lips parting slightly, breath halting as she catches kotori's worried gaze. her heart beating loudly under her skin, umi clenches her fists and lets her head fall, unable to maintain eye contact.

"is everything alright?"

umi doesn't say anything, and she doesn't know why, either. just open your mouth, say that everything's fine. but why can't she?

her hand drifts to her ear, slender fingers slipping sapphire blue out from sensitive skin. kotori keeps curious eyes on her, drawing ever closer to umi, as if in a daze.

"i---" umi trails off, clenching her fists, body quivering with nervousness. was it too soon? her heart was practically screaming to admit it; admit that she wanted nothing more than to have the girl in front of her in her arms forever. she swallows, stretching her hand out.

kotori's eyes widen as she realises what was in umi's palm. she realises the reasons behind umi's behavior, and her pulse quickens, unsure of what to say as umi opens her mouth.

"she told me to give them one of them to the person i'd love someday."

"you should have this," umi mutters softly, her heart pounding in her ears, gaze still inclined to the floor. reaching out, her fingers close gently around kotori's wrist, feeling her cheeks and ears turning hotter with every passing second. touch light, she presses the earring into kotori's palm, and lets her hand fall obediently by her side.

her eyes still widened, kotori could only focus on the glint of the gemstone in her hand, her mind buzzing with questions and confusion, and her lips part slightly, but she had no idea of what to say. her mind was blank. she felt nothing, saw nothing, shock and adrenaline taking over her body, possessing her.

"kotori," umi says softly, her eyes never quite meeting kotori's, her voice small and quiet. "i...think i like you."

and kotori doesn't know why.

why was she running away?

~

sorry for this pretty late chapter AGAIN. i need time management jesus, but thanks for reading! have a great day :)

- joy
10.9.2019.