[2] Coming of Age

Rue reached the gates on her horse, as her purple hair flowed behind her. The various people could not take her eyes off her. She had long thrown away her blood splattered cloak. After all, the people at Kuuto were rather, scared, of blood or anything related to it.

As she approached the gates, they were opened for her as she was well known in the capitals. She got down from her horse, and walked into the castle.

It is finally time, to do what I promised her.

She sighed as she remembered her promise. However her moment of peace was cut short as a certain weapon was swung her way. She dodged it in the right moment, and threw her daggers at the male, making him, stuck to the wall.

"I thought, you were better than that General Hak. You never fail to disappoint me." Her voice was purely blank as no emotion could be detected.

Hak had changed over the years. He was no longer that old boy with whom she used to be friends.

"Now I never thought that Princess Rue would be able beat me." He teased and smirked.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." She dismissed his taunts, her dull yellow eyes skimming over the area.

The castle was not any different than before. Despite all the decorations and the bustling of people, it felt empty. Unconsciously, her eyes searched for those who once made this castle feel like home. Hak observed the way her eyes looked around, as if, she had found this palace so unfamiliar. She disappeared out of his sight as Rue turned the corner of the hallway.

Soon, she found Yona and Soo-Won standing near the the koi fish pond, conversing. Her yellow eyes flashed for a second as she eyed the blonde man. Her investigations outside the castle had led her to know many, interesting things. Facts that she would never have guessed to have been true.

As she approached them, she noticed that Hak had also somehow reached there before her. Her feet seemed to have stopped on their own and the mirage of her childhood overlapped with her present. Suddenly, she remembered the talks of the palace staff.

"Lord Hak, Yona Hime San and Lord Soo Won really are the best of the best friends."

"Princess Rue on the other hand, doesn't really suit in their group of friends."

"Hey, hey. Did you hear? The trio fell sick while the boys were trying to comfort Yona Hime, about the Queen's death."

"Really? But what about Princess Rue? Isn't she also their friend?"

"Who cares about her? Even her father went to comfort Princess Yona instead of her."

Rue had left just as soon as she had arrived, never again would she force herself to seek the attention she craved as a child. Her dignity weighed more than the follies of her tender heart.

||♪||

As Rue enters the throne room, where her father was sitting and Min-Soo was serving him tea. Their eyes widened at her appearance.

"Princess!" "Rue!" They shouted as said female bowed infront her father on one knee.

"Glory and success be upon the Kouka King." She greeted.

"Now, Rue, I'm still your father." The King said sadly, as he missed the way she used to call him with endearment.

"Father, I have a question. You are not planning to make Yona the heir yet, are you?" She said, her eyes serious. il stiffened, his eyes averting.

"Yona is too innocent for such a cruel position. Rue, as the eldest, its your-"

"My duty? Do not make me laugh, I told you plentiful of times. The throne, the crown, I wish for none of it. I will not be bound and tied down to this castle."