{Chapter 8- A Goodbye As Hard As This}

"Daughter of Light, open your eyes and gaze upon us." A deep male voice commands. Grace's eyes shoot open and she finds herself in a soft bed, with beautiful surroundings. "Are you...?" She asks breathlessly, her voice cracking. "I am Manwë, king of the Valar." He bowed his head lightly in a greeting and motioned his hand to the side. "Estë, goddess of health and rest." She did the same and gave a gentle smile, making her way over to the elven lady, "May I, Daughter of Light?" Grace nodded and a soft light blue hue came from her hands, surrounding her body, bringing a warmth that relaxed her. Once the hurle had faded, Grace raised a heart to her own heart and bowed her head, "I thank you, Lady Estë." She smiled and backed away, bidding her farewell. "Dearest light, they are waiting, please, join your mellons*." He waved slightly and Grace's vision began to drift away to middle-earth.

.

.

.

She awoke to a scared Frodo clinging to her body, bringing a soft frown to her face as she lifted a hand to caress his hair, "Frodo, what has you upset?" She asked gently, hearing him gasp and look up, "She's awake!" He yells to the others, wrapping his small arms around her body as she sat up. "How long was I out?" Aragorn answered first, "One day. And the shire-lings refused to move until you woke." Boromir spoke next, "We hadn'tencourntered any more goblins while you rested." The cousins tackled her before she could respond, "We waited so long for you to wake up.." They pouted, "It was only one day-" "It felt like a long time." They stated with matching pouts.

"Welcome back to the land of the living, lass." Gimli. "We must go now, are you alright to walk?" Legolas inquired. "Perfectly fine, dear." Grace stood, Frodo standing close to her. "Let us go now, I shall not slow us down any longer Mithrandir." He nodded and everyone began moving once more. Orcs are now heard down the hall and Frodo stiffened slightly. "To the bridge of Khazad-dûm!" Mithrandir shouted and they all began running. The orcs soon surround them, but flee once a thundering roar is heard. "What is this new devilry?" Aragorn questions. " A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run! Quickly!"

The Fellowship runs through the Hall and enters a passageway, then down a flight of steps. Parts of the steps end into a chasm and Boromir nearly falls into it. Legolas pulls him back just before he is about to fall in. The hobbits too stop short of falling in, while Grace holds Frodo back. They then take another flight of stairs down while Aragorn and Mithrandir bring up the rear. "Gandalf." Aragorn spoke. "Lead them on Aragorn. The bridge is near." Aragorn resists but Mithrandir pushes him away, "Do as I say! Swords are no more use here." He commands. The Fellowship runs down the steep staircase. Halfway down, they encounter a gap on the stairs. Legolas leaps forward and lands on the other side, Grace following, holding Frodo with her and landing almost flawlessly. The ellon waves to Mithrandir.

"Gandalf," Legolas calls. Mithrandir looks back up towards the Hall as they hear a loud growl and stones fall around them. Then he leaps after Legolas. Suddenly, arrows whistle in the air, striking the steps they stand on. Legolas and Aragorn shoot back, killing many orcs. Boromir calls for the twins and grabs onto them, jumping over and landing as well. Aragorn throws Sam and Boromir catches him. Aragon goes to throw Gimli but he holds his hand up. "Nobody tosses a Dwarf." Before Aragorn can do anything, he leaps, but almost falls back into the chasm, until Legolas grabs him. "Not the beard!" The dwarf shouts, but Legolas scoffs and pulls him up.

Aragorn was the only one left. He had to go back up the steps and run as fast as he could, jumping into Legolas' arms, who nods to him and turns. "Over the bridge! Fly!" Mithrandir shouts. The Fellowship crosses the bridge. The wizard stops halfway over and turns to face the Balrog, who appears out of the fires, growling. "You shall not pass!" Frodo turns and looks at Mithrandir, shouting his name, "Gandalf!"

A blazing light radiates from Mithrandir's staff, illuminating the entire bridge and its surroundings, "I am the servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn!" The Balrog strikes down on the wizard with a flaming sword. Mithrandir parries the blow with Glamdring, shattering the Balrog's sword. "Go back to the Shadow!" The Balrog brandishes a flaming whip, lashing it about menacingly. "YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS!!" Mithrandir strikes his staff and sword onto the bridge. The Balrog stops, not knowing what to do. As it steps forward, the bridge collapses under it and the demon falls backward into the chasm, growling. Mithrandir, exhausted, leans on his staff and watches the Balrog fall then turns to follow the others. At the last minute, the flaming whip lashes up from the depths and winds about Mithrandir's ankle, dragging him over the edge. He clings onto the bridge but is straining to keep his grip.

Frodo tries to run to him, but Grace's grip is iron strong, and her face darkens in denial. "Gandaaalf!!" He shouts. "Fly...you fools!" He yells before his grip is lost, and he falls into the abyss. Frodo screams in sorrow as he watches.

Aragorn stands in shock. He stares at the bridge in disbelief, unable to move for a few moments. But then orcish arrows start whistling by once again. Dodging, he turns and follows the others up the stairs and out in the light. The Fellowship comes running out of the East Gate of Moria. Everyone is distraught. Sam sits on the ground, bows his head onto his hands and begins to weep. Merry consoles Pippin, who lies on the ground crying. Boromir tries to restrain Gimli as the dwarf vents out his rage and sorrow. Legolas wears his look of shock and disbelief. Aragorn stands on a distance from the others, cleaning his sword and re-sheathing it.

Grace had let go of Frodo, leaving him to do his mourning, while she clenched her hands around her biceps. She felt bad. Grace believed that she could have heen able to help--or even save-- Mithrandir, and her sadness came in waves because of it. She felt almost useless, but she had to pull through.

Sam looked up at her, "Why do you not cry? We have lost a dear one, yet you do not weep." Grace's eyes widened and she snapped out of her trance, looking at him, "If I were to cry, then who would stay strong for you? I do wish I could have saved him," Her voice shook slightly, "But when everyone has a purpose, they must complete it," Grace straightened, "And I do believe he has yet to complete his." She felt confident in her words, and even half-believed them herself. Aragorn speaks to Legolas, "Legolas, get them up." Boromir turns and speaks up, "Give them a moment for pity's sake." Aragorn looks at him harshly, "By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up." Aragorn reaches down and gently pulls Sam up, "On your feet, Sam." He then looks around for the ring-bearer, "Frodo? Frodo!"

Frodo is several paces away, weeping silently. Grace places a hand on Aragorn's upper-arm and walks to Frodo, crouching down to him, "Little hobbit, we must leave, come." She open her arms for him and he attaches himself to her, holding on like he's afraid she'd leave too. Oh, Mith- Gandalf, she thought to herself, you musn't be gone too long.

.

.

We need you.

~

*friends
Chapter eight, done. This one was 1,300 words, and chapter seven and eight were done in one day. My hands hurt. When I think of Grace and Frodo's bond, I think of a mother and son, so I write it out here. I enjoy seeing them bond and will continue to write them like that.