[4] Happy Birthday

Rue sat alone in her room, as night had already fallen. She was sitting on her bed, looking at pictures long forgotten. Rue had a sad look in her eyes as she looked at old pictures. Looking at these pictures made Rue remember that, she never really had anyone except her mom, as she grew up. She was often alone on her birthdays, as it was in the same week as Yona's. But her mother always remember. She smiled bitterly as she remembered her 8th birthday.

Past, Crown Princess Rue,
Eighth Birthday

The purple head walked happily, as she approached her father's office. Rue wanted to meet her father first as it was her eighth birthday.

"Papa! Papa!" The, now, eight year old girl, shouted in delight.

"Rue. I have taught you better. Call me father like Yona does, it sounds more respectful." The young King Il, scolded her. Her smile, slowly but definitely faltered.

"But papa....it is my-"

"YOU WILL CALL ME FATHER! CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND? HIRYUU HELP ME!" He shouted. On the other hand Rue's whole body started to tremble.

Her eyes dulled as her smile completely, vanished. She put on her best smile and walked out, but only after greeting him.

"May glory and success be upon the Kouka King." Her voice monotoned.

The king's eyes widened. That greeting was only done by people except his children and wife. He wanted to call out to her, but she had already left.

That was the day, Rue stopped calling him, 'Papa'.

||♪||

Rue ran back to her room, but stopped as she bumped into someone. The two children looked at each other, only for a minute before Rue again ran.

The boy's eyes widened, as he remembered her disheveled state.

||♪||

Rue cried out her heart the whole day. She didn't eat nor did she come out of her room. Everyone tried but no one could make her come out.

At night, there was a knock, on her door. Rue looked at the door and muttered a small go away.

"Sweetie. I won't force you to come out or eat, but I want to tell you that I'm here for you. And.... happy birthday, my darling." A soft feminine voice rang out, as Rue opened the door and pulled the woman inside.

"Mama!" She cried clutching her mother's robes. No one knew Rue better than her mother. More than being scolded, she was more sad because everyone forget her eighth birthday.

"Now sweetheart, I'm here. Don't cry anymore, ok?" The Queen smiled gently.

That night Rue fell asleep holding her mother's hand and slept like a child

Present, Crown Princess Rue
Nineteenth Birthday

"Mom. I miss you. I..... miss you..... so, so much." She quietly cried. 

But she knew. This was no fairy tale and she was no damsel in distress. Rue would have to save herself and no one else could save her. She was alone. Alone in the castle with nothing but the remnants of a king who, long ago, with his warriors, left her behind.

Her future, past and present all had once existed before her and now, she was, but, an empty shell of human she once was. Gathering her photos, she put them back into a box and buried it deep within the abyss of her closet. 

"It is my birthday today, will you not wish me?" Rue said in a small voice as she gazed at the night sky. The moon that once was her guide in the darkness, now, only served as a spectator.

"How long will you make me wait?" She asked again, staring at the skies through her open window. No answer came. It never did.

They had stopped talking to her a long time ago. 

So, that was the chapter

So, that was the chapter. See you next chapter.

Comment and tell me what you think. I like to hear what people think of my writing.

So who do you ship her with? Comment below.

Hak

Soo-Won

Min-Soo