Chapter 1

It was a warm night in Bon Temps, just a little after midnight

It was a warm night in Bon Temps, just a little after midnight. Adele Stackhouse was playing cards with her granddaughter, Brooklynne Stackhouse, in her kitchen. Entertaining the 23-year-old girl was nothing unusual for the old lady. Brooke had special needs. Not that she had any disability in particular, on the contrary, she had special abilities, some would even say supernatural ones.

Like her sister, Sookie Stackhouse, Brooklynne was a telepath. But she was more than that. Her strong telepathic ability made it difficult for her to focus on anything and she spent most of her time, like most of her life, trying to control it. And that's what she was doing. Playing cards with her grandmother was a fun ritual but also a good exercise. The rule was simple: don't cheat.

Brooklynne Stackhouse was bored most of the time. It's not that she wasn't allowed to leave her house, she just shouldn't. So, she read a lot. Listened to music. Learnt new things on the internet. Danced. Sang. Played with her grandmother.

As Adele was about to win their current game, her first granddaughter interrupted them. Sookie was coming back from work, the blonde 25-year-old was wearing her uniform, the shorts and the white shirt with "Merlotte's" written on it. She appeared to be in a great mood.

"Hey Gran."

"Hi, honey," Adele greeted her with a smile as she removed her glasses. She was wearing a long and white old-fashioned nightgown.

"Guess what happened tonight?"

Adele thought for a moment and a smile formed on her face.

"You got a date!"

Sookie frowned.

"Um... no..." she said, a bit bothered, "a vampire came into the bar!" she told her before Adele had the chance to be disappointed.

The old woman gasped. "Oh! Did he have fangs?"

Brooke chuckled quietly.

"Yeah, but most of the time they stayed put away."

"Did he bite anybody?"

"No," Sookie laughed. "He just had a glass of wine. Well, he ordered it but didn't drink it. I think he just wanted some company."

"Did you like him?" Adele asked with a grin and Brooke looked up at her big sister, curious too.

Sookie looked down and shrugged.

"He was real interesting."

Adele smiled and hummed, looking at her granddaughter as if she could see right through her. Brooklynne actually could. Sookie's thoughts echoed in her head as she heard them in her sister's mind.

"You know what else?" she said as she sat down next to her. "I couldn't read his thoughts."

Brooklynne's smile disappeared as she focused on her sister's face. "Quiet?" She asked silently.