Chapter 20

It was a hard day for both Eric and Brooklynne. The half-fairy had to silver the vampire and her heart squeezed more and more each time she heard his screams of pain. But that was nothing compared to the many hours that followed during which he fought and begged to be unchained. It was as if he was possessed, as if he had forgotten who he was and who she was too. All he wanted was to go out and meet the sun, and Brooklynne lived her afternoon in fear that he would somehow manage to escape the many silver chains she had put him under.

The entire vampire community of Bon Temps had never been more relieved to feel the moon rise in the sky. As soon as the sun had set, Brooklynne had thrown the chains away, ripped them off like bandages, freeing Eric from the constant pain which had saved his life.

Her blood healed him quickly, and though she wanted to spend the rest of the night with him, making him forget all the pain he had just gone through, they couldn't stay in as Bill was waiting for them at his house, if Bill had survived the day, that is.

"One vampire? Are you sure?" Brooklynne asked Sookie as she found her sister watching TV in the living room.

"Yeah, only one vampire died today."

"That's already one too many," Eric said.

"How come she didn't chain herself?" Brooke asked.

"No one knew she was a vampire, apparently. She's Maxine Fortenberry's neighbor, she would've known," Sookie scoffed.

"So no one warned her," Brooke guessed.

"Bill needs us," Eric said as he took Brooke's hand. "He's gonna have to explain what happened to the media, and he's gonna want to talk to that witch."

Brooklynne nodded. "Let's go."

Sookie waved her sister goodbye before she took the remote and started changing channels. But, a few seconds later, she realized something that made her jump off the couch.

"Wait, what do you mean 'talk to that witch'?!"

***

"Nice interview," Eric said as Bill walked through the doors of his office, where he, Brooke and Sookie were waiting for him, along with the other sheriffs.

"Thank you, Eric," Bill replied with as much sarcasm. His cocky smile disappeared, however, when he saw Sookie was there. "What are you doing here?"

"Eric said you were going after the witch. I wasn't gonna let her come here alone."

Brooklynne rolled her eyes. "I did fine 'alone' for a year, Sook."

"And now I'm here to help," she shrugged.

"I don't need your..."

"Any help is welcomed," Bill cut her off. "Especially against Antonia. She's agreed to a meeting. Tonight."

"She has?" Brooklynne raised an eyebrow. "I thought all she wanted was for all of you to die."

"Indeed," Bill sighed. "Which is why, even though I promised we'd meet alone, you all will be coming with me."

"She won't keep her promise either, anyway," Eric said.

"I'll offer her a peaceful resolution to our... problem. And she will refuse, I expect... Which will lead to..."

"A fight," Sookie interrupted him.

"Which is why you shouldn't be here," Brooke mumbled.

"If you can be here, so can I."