Water Fountain

a/n: im so sorry everyone!! i haven't updated this book in almost two weeks,,, I promise I'll try not to let it happen again (hopefully idk I have a lot of other oneshot books—) but yeah I was busy with writing for other books so please forgive me ;-;

Anyway, this oneshot was inspired by the song Water Fountain by Alec Benjamin!

"I'll always love you Hari! Trust me on it!"

Y/N reassured Hari as the pair stood in front of the water fountain that had been built in the midst of the greenery of the Shie Hassaikai garden.

Delicate butterflies danced in the air around the young teens, their vibrant wings fluttering as they bounced from colorful flower to flower; gathering pollen being the main goal for their traveling. The noise of the trickling water of the water fountain was soothing to Hari and after a while of spacing out, he looked down to Y/N with an loud exhale.

The younger teen was looking up at him with an odd, starry-eyed look, as if they were looking up to someone they worshiped and Hari couldn't understand it at all.

As of now, at the age of 14, the teen was only focused on becoming the next head of the Shie Hassaikai, so he paid no attention to the younger teen. He only found Y/N to be annoying; too clingy even. Y/N was always saying how much they loved him, tone sickly sweet and light.

What was love anyway? Hari didn't know what it felt like, since he had deep family roots in the Yakuza; a group of people who weren't known for love and affection.

All the boy could think about was beating Kai Chisaki to the rank of Yakuza capo, though a small voice in the back of his mind told him that he'd probably never catch up to him - Kai was already climbing up the ranks.

The once orphaned boy was Pops' favorite, despite him just recently joining. Hari despised Kai; he hated how easily the boy could make Pops smile, while Hari tripped over his feet whenever he tried to impress the head of the Shie Hassaikai.

Feeling slightly irritated, Hari said off-handedly, tearing himself from Y/N's side,

"I have to go, Y/N... See you later, I guess..."

This caused the other teen to frown for a split second, but the frown was then quickly replaced by a hesitant smile; the action akin to the way a whiteboard would be erased - quickly and effortlessly.

"Oh alright, Hari... I'll see you later, I suppose...?"

The question was left hanging in the warm summer air, unheard by the bustling Yakuza teen who was only focused on going to train.

At the time, Hari had fully believed that the Shie Hassaikai was the only thing that mattered in the world, but he'd soon come to change his mindset when he grew up.

Hari started to regret when Y/N started slipping away.

"Don't you think that Kai's really handsome? I mean, he's anything I could ever wish for

"Don't you think that Kai's really handsome? I mean, he's anything I could ever wish for..."

Y/N commented dreamily as they sat on the ledge of the water fountain, the familiar rushing of water filling Hari's ears.

Not really paying attention, Hari flipped to the next page of his book, nodding along with whatever Y/N said. Tales of kings and dragons were way more interesting than whatever Y/N was rambling about in Hari's opinion.

Anyway, Hari was 15 now - an age that was quite crucial for the Shie Hassaikai. It was the age where the teens would start receiving missions - it was a time for Hari to start proving himself - for real.

Kai had started to lead small groups for Pops, which made Hari green with envy. The teenager wanted to lead his own groups, but Pops always shook his head and said that Hari was 'not ready for the responsibility' yet.

What a load of bull-

"Hey, Y/N and Hari."

A monotonous voice sounded from the entrance of the garden, and Hari's eyes flicked from the pages of his book to Kai. Kai was wearing a black face mask - he had only recently started wearing it - and his eyes were lidded as he looked from Y/N and Hari.

Hari simply scoffed in response to Kai, rolling his eyes, but meanwhile, Y/N looked as if they had just seen the best thing in their whole entire life - that thing being Kai, of course.

"H-Hello, Kai! How's your training going?"

Y/N asked quickly, pushing away from the water fountain to bustle over to Kai's side, who looked quite pleased with himself.

Feeling a weird tinge of jealousy at the fact that Y/N had left him for Kai, Hari let his hair hang down, creating a curtain so that he wouldn't have to look at the pair.

He let the sound of the two's conversation drown out in the background, the words becoming nothing but meaningless chatter.

I don't care.

...do I?

Hari's whole body felt as if it was on fire as he stared at the scene before him, his cold, shaky hands resting on the edge of the cool marble of the water fountain

He's 18 now, and Hari can't believe that Y/N and Kai are holding hands in the midst of the beautiful flowers and butterflies in the garden. The look Y/N gives Kai is the same look they gave Hari back then, all those years ago.

That damn starry-eyed look.

Hari didn't know why he had let Y/N slip from his fingers so easily.

Why had he been so naive?

Hari closed his eyes, his heart aching as the noise of trickling water persisted behind him.

He's all alone now.

Hari was such a fool.