2

we're not who we used to be

tom pulled his keys out of the ignition.

"is this crazy? am i crazy? maybe i should cancel," he whispered.

but then tom looked up and saw y/n sitting at a table. she had a coffee between her hands as she blew on it gently. it was december so it was cold. the tip of her nose was red along with her cheeks.

the thought that passed through tom's head vanished when she looked up and her eyes met his.

tom got out of the car and entered the cafe. he ordered a coffee to the teenager working the register. he then made his way over and sat across from her.

"hey," tom said quietly.

she looked up and smiled.

"hi."

"so, how have you been?" he asked.

the same teenager then brought him his coffee. tom thanked him softly.

"i've been good. i guess. what about you? anyone or thing special?"

tom laughed and shook his head.

"no, no. just tessa but she's been with my parents."

y/n nodded.

"what about you?"

she also shook her head.

"i guess i haven't been looking," she shrugged.

and so they sat there. at first it was awkward. but then it was as if the last eight months hadn't happened. as if they were still best friends. they laughed and talked about old memories. tom felt the happiest he's felt all year.

he felt like y/n was still his. like he could still feel her lips against his.

"well, i have to go help my mom plan christmas dinner. so i should go," y/n said as she stood up.

"let me walk you out," tom offered.

so he did. they made small talk, tom asking about her mom, as they walked to her car.

"it was really nice seeing you, tom," she smiled as she unlocked her car.

"you too," he grinned.

"hey, do you think you'd want to come to dinner next week? my moms been asking about you. i think she'd love it."

"really? are you sure?"

y/n nodded.

"yeah, sure!" tom beamed.

"i'll let mom know," she then leaned up and kissed his cheek.

"thanks, for this," she then got into her car, started it and drove off with a wave.

tom waved back slightly. once she was gone, he touched his hand to his cheek gently.

394