3

too shy to say, but i hope you stay

december 25

tom adjusted his tie in the mirror of his car before sitting up straight. he took in a breath and got out of the car.

it was christmas day and instead of spending it with his family he wanted to spend it with y/n.

as he walked up to the familiar house he cleared his throat. he then checked his phone nervously before knocking.

he heard some talking inside before footsteps coming to the door.

the door was then opened to reveal y/n. she was wearing a tight black dress and heels. her hair was down like it usually was.

tom smiled.

"hey!" she smiled.

"hi!" tom leaned in to hug her.

"my mom has been asking about you all day," she laughed as she let him in.

"really?" tom asked as she closed the door behind him.

y/n nodded.

"she's in the kitchen. come on," she grabbed his hand and pulled him in the direction of a white door.

tom had been over plenty of times. he knew where it was, but he didn't say anything.

"mom!" y/n sang out as she walked in.

"yes?" her mom turned from the pan she was stirring.

her mom then gasped.

"tom!" she smiled and immediately went to hug him.

"it's nice to see you again! ms.y/l/n!"

she laughed and hit tom playfully.

"you know you can call me y/m/n tom!"

"right," tom smiled.

y/n then excused tom and her so her mom could finish making dinner. her mom refused and demanded tom and her catch up as she cooked.

y/n agreed and went to talk to her brother max.

"i have to tell you. i was so surprised when y/n told me you guys broke up," her mom shook her head as she continued to stir. "i was really rooting for you guys."

tom frowned but took a drink of his water.

"so are you guys going to get back together?"

tom choked on his drink making it go everywhere.

"um... i don't think so," tom said after recovering.

he cleaned up his mess.

tom spent the day eating all of the delicious food y/n's mom made and hearing their stories about past christmas'. tom then got a phone call from his parents. he excused himself and went to the living room to answer.

"yeah, merry christmas guys. i'm sorry i couldn't catch a plane to london."

his parents dismissed it and said it was fine.

"take care of tessa. yup. love you too," he then hang up the phone.

"hey, everything okay?" y/n asked.

"yeah." tom smiled.

"well look that!" y/n's mom said as she was walking by.

tom and y/n turned to her.

"you're under the mistletoe," they both looked up.

"oh," they said in unison.

"i guess we are," tom whispered as he looked at y/n.

"can't break the rules!" her mom said excitedly.

"i guess, you can't," y/n said softly.

tom's heart thundered in his chest.

y/n then leaned in and kissed his cheek quickly.

after y/n's mom called them lame and everyone sang christmas songs. y/n walked tom out.

"i had a lot of fun," tom said as y/n closed the door behind them.

"i did too. im really glad you came," she smiled.

they then just smiled at each other when y/n suddenly perked up.

"hey! do you want to come over for new years? you don't have to. i know i stole you from your family today but, i would really enjoy it," she looked down as she asked.

"i would love to," tom said.

"really?"

"yeah!" he smiled again.

"okay, cool. see you then, you know where it is," she then hugged tom quickly and went back inside.

649