Last Man

A/N:

Complete version will be uploaded at 10:30 pm Manila Time. Thank you, dear!

* * *

He was the last man Julia Dewey would ever lay her eyes on.

Max Moore sat quietly beneath a shed as he pondered about his non-existent chance to grab Julia Dewey's heart. If he would just be honest with himself, she probably didn't know a speck about him. Besides the fact that he was just the freelance IT guy who the villagers call whenever their computers needed some saving, he never showed himself to the public. He went and left inside their business buildings without a trace of his presence with their computers fixed and functioning. All payments were done online.

What do you expect from a Moore? the villager would always say.

The rain poured angrily and more people were rushing inside the shed, squeezing him further to the back. He watched the five women struggled with their bags to get their umbrellas. He recognized them as the students in a university just beyond Aurora Village.

"Have you heard about it? Julia Dewey has another heart to break."

"What? Again?" The one with a red hat shook her head as she continued. "These men never learned their lesson. Julia Dewey is Julia Dewey. They were way out of her league. She's a goddess."

"She's a goddess, alright." A girl with piggy-tails said before giggling. "I wonder whose heart she's going to break next?"

The girl with piercings all over her face spoke. "You know the IT guy who fixed our computer lab last Monday?"

"The cute guy with glasses?" Piggy tails asked.

Lily stared at her, alarmed. "You think he's cute?"

"Of course." Her brows wiggling knowingly. "What's his name again, Keira?"

"Max Moore. I hope Miss Julia would break his heart gently."

The heart that they were talking about just suddenly stopped beating. Blushing furiously, Max tried to shrink himself on the back of the shed as the women walked away from him, thankfully leaving him alone. Perplexed, he never expected that a lot of people knew--

"So you're the IT guy?"

Max's body jolted in surprise as he turned towards the woman beside him. Apparently, he was not alone. He blinked a few times and couldn't see anything.

"Who's there?" He said, disconcerted.

Before he could react, the woman took his glasses. Through his blurry vision, he could see her wiping his glasses clear. He suddenly felt embarrassed for not realizing his foggy lenses. He tried to retrieve it but his sight was so bad that he just awkwardly flailed his hand in the air looking for it.

Next thing he knew, the woman placed his glasses back on his nose.

And saw Julia Dewey staring back at him.

Hot, damn, he thought he would faint.

"So," she smiled. "Max Moore?"

Suddenly feeling defensive, Max held up his hands. "I never told a soul I have a crush on you."

Damn.

Max groaned in annoyance causing Julia to dissolve in laughter. He wanted to punch the ground beneath him so it could just swallow him whole and never resurface again.

But, then again, it was nice to be with her on a rainy day like this. Unable to stop himself, Max risked a glance towards her direction. She was still laughing with her eyes closed and a hand clutching her belly. Getting bolder, he stared at her openly. His heart jumping in every second.

They nicknamed her Bluebell. Soft and enchanting, that she was. Her beauty wasn't the kind you see on television and in magazines. It was the kind you see in a happy home or on Sundays-movie-night. Bright and welcoming. There was something about her that makes you think about fresh-pressed blankets, home-made cakes, and cute aprons.

No wonder she opened up a flower shop. A goddess like her should only be surrounded by beautiful things.

Something unlike him.

He had only met her thrice. The first was when she moved to Aurora. He was helping her to set her computer up for her shop. The woman, though intelligent, know nothing about technology. She was as updated as to his grandma in Oregon. The next two occasions, on the other hand, were Max buying flowers, trying with a little courage he had just to say hi, but only (always) ended up with a grunt.

But then again, what do you expect from a Moore?

"I-I-I" Max stuttered. "Tu es belle."

Julia looked surprised but smiled pristinely. "Thanks."

He was mortified. "You speak french?"

"Of course. I live in France for a while."

"Where?"

"Bondy. It was only a small community but I liked it. I loved it. My house is not that grand but I have my own garden. I can grow flowers."

"I hate flowers." Max absently said. Damn, what was he doing? "No, I-I-I. Uhm, I-I meant no o-offense but-"

Julia narrowed her eyes. "But?"

Max sighed apologetically. "I don't like the smell."

Understanding dawned. "I see. It's alright. Not all people liked them, you know."

They were both thinking about the instance when Max bought flowers in her shop. Like a silent agreement, no one spoke about it.

"Can I ask for a favor?" She said suddenly.

Max nodded vigorously. "Anything."

Julia resisted laughing. "Can you walk me to my home? I have no umbrella with me so--"

She stopped talking as Max moved in great haste. He had his umbrella ready in less than a second. Before his courage would leave him hanging, Max took her hand with his and plastered her to his side.

Who said Moore Men couldn't be a gentleman?

But then, his umbrella was too small for the two of them. Especially when Max's broad shoulders took all of the space underneath. Two blocks after, he was soaked.

Wet and shivering, Julia took pity on him and invited him to her house. Offering him tea and new clothes. She took his wet clothes to hang it dry.

Alone in her living room, Max stared at the pajamas she gave to him. Tweety-bird stared at him innocently. Disgusted, he decided not to wear it and snooped around the room half-naked. No family pictures in sight, he observed. Besides the lush ferns and expensive furniture, her house felt...impersonal. No personality. He expected to see cookie jars and cute aprons, but only found statues and dark paintings on the wall. The lightings were dim. The curtains were down. It was neat, clean, and gloomy.

Curious, Max paced around the room slowly and closely. He found hidden cameras scattered all over the room. After another minute of snooping, Max found a pistol, a taser gun, a compact radio and an overnight bag with a set of clothes, packed food, newspapers, and a map.

He gingerly took out the newspaper and scanned its front page.

"Man killed with poison made by a flower called Bluebell. Suspect still on the loose."

* * *
A/N:

After 3 three years, I have finally finished this collection of one-shot stories. I hope you would check the complete version in Dreame. Let me know if you have enjoyed reading them by dropping a comment or clicking on the heart button! 

Thanks for being with him after all this year!

Cheers to more sexy stories to come!

-Em