Chapter 6

He gently sat me on the edge of my cot and Thespia rushed to hand me a bowl of clean water. Shakily, my hands fumbled to grasp it and I felt it slightly trickly from my chin as I licked my lips.

"Yo-y-you're mistaken! I- I'm not-"

"Oh, enough! Look me in the eyes and tell me there is another person on this planet that could possible resemble Thespia's traits so clearly!" Ezuras scolded.

I moaned and dug the heel of my hand into my forehead. It was too much to take in...

"How can I be royalty?" I squeaked.

"You'll have to come back with us, of course! We can announce this dicovery tonight! You are the true prince of Windsor!" Thespia cried.

"If- if It's alright with you, can we continue this a secret? I've not the slightest wish to rul-r-rule a kingdom! Yo-you'll have to run me through with a blade before you take me with you! I'll do it myself if you br-breath a word to my king!"

They stared at me with identical expressions of horror.

"Now, let's be rational here, Ben. we need you to lead this kingdom!"

"Surely you have more sons!"

"I did remarry and now how two healthy sons not ten years younger than you, but I fear the destruction they will bring our kingdom!"

"T-then train them prop-properly! You're their father aren't you! I've lived my whole life a peasant! They are more fit to rule th-than I! Why would your people listen to someone like me? No, I'd be burnt on a pyre before you breathe a word to Lief. I-I love my life here!"

Thespia shared a look with her father.

"We shall consider this a topic for later conversation. Perhaps there is hope you will change your mind yet-" she began.

"Pr-promise you won't tell Lief! Or anyone!"

"Yes, of course Benedict. We understand your shaken now, we will keep this secret for now, won't we, Thespia?"

She nodded eagerly and held out her hand to King Ezuras so as to help him up.

"Get some sleep, Benedict. We'll tell Lief you had an emergency and that your patient needed instant attention." Ezuras smiled.

"I stiffened at the thought of lying to my king, but said nothing to stop them as they exited the room. I stared at the ceiling, millions of thoughts driving me slowly insane as I closed my eyes.

I woke up to the sun's light slowly escaping my chambers, filling them with the consuming night. I impressed myself by waking to find that I was just in time to make it to the feast taking place tonight. I quickly slipped into a navy tunic with a awold on the front, the royal sigil. I raced from my chambers to see Thespia locking arms with Lief as they strolled to the banquet hall.

Lief didn't notice me, but Thespia did and quickly excused herself, saying she would rejoin him at the feast. He nodded and continued while she walked to my side and whispered quietly in my ear,

"Bend down so I can straighten your hair, it looks atrocious!"

I cracked a half smile and bent down while she ran her fingers through my shaggy, curly, red hair attempting to fix it.

"Oh, it won't stay down! Here, try this!"

She handed me a small navy cavalier hat with a white feather pointing from the side. I smiled and she left for the banquet.

As she walked away, I took the time to analyze her. She had on now a shimmering emerald dress that I knew would make her eyes look green. I then realized that my outfit was a vibrant blue, making my eyes look like the depths of the ocean.