Chapter 13

I looked over and to my surprise saw Rowain bandaging Lief's head. His hands moved steadily and cautiously around the king's injury and his eyes were set with grim determination.

I counted each time he wrapped a bandage, and I was shocked to see that he did it just perfectly. He grabbed a canteen and filled it with the icy cold water from the river and laid Lief's head on it, right where his injury was.

He finally spotted me staring at him, my mouth gaping.

"What is it? Do I have anything on my face?"

'No, no! Y-you just did everything perfectly. The bandages, the canteen, applying pressure, where did you learn this?"

I watched as he face went from merrily lit from my praise to solemn immediately.

"My father, he was a physician before he died. He taught me as much as he possibly could in his short life, before he was murdered ruthlessly in a siege."

I swallowed guilty, instantly regretting having asked.

"Rowain, I happen to be looking for an apprentice. I was curious, do you think you might be interested? You happen to be the perfect candidate."

A weak smile shone on his face as he contemplated the option. I knew it was a gruesome thing to consider, for I would be rekindling all those precious invaluable moments he had spent with his father.

There was every chance he might mistake me for his deceased family every once in a while, and I would only crush his heart to see that it was in fact me. He looked up at me unrushedly and I saw a small tear shining as it fell down his face. Despite his mournful expression, he nodded hesitantly.

"Who am I to waste my father's knowledge, his skill? It would be more than honorable to continue his legacy and save those within my ability."

I slowly bent down into a crouch so I was on his level as he kneeled on the ground beside Lief. I drew him tightly into my arms, and he clung to me tightly like a small child, shaking uncontrollably from the overwhelming grief that unmercifully tore him apart in each crashing wave.

I felt a small pit of fire rise within me, and I began shaking too, though not from grief. From anger. Anger that such an innocent young man was faced with such a tragedy as this, and no example to look up to, no shoulder to cry on.

A strange bout of sympathy began to slowly tame the fire of anger within me. He couldn't have gone to Helwyn, for she was carrying the same burden as him. He had to be strong for her as she slowly recovered from the shock of her father's death, and I remembered Helwyn mentioning her mother still refused to leave their home.

Rowain had taken the role of a man instead of a boy, cloaking himself in the responsibility not even a grown man could shoulder. He had to be strong, showing his mother and sister that life would continue when really, he had been carrying a burden only to heavy for his small shoulders.

"Rowain,bI've met you and your sister, but I'm afraid I've never had the privilege of greeting your mother."

A dark look crossed Rowain's face as he tore himself slowly from the grip of my arms.

"I haven't seen her since my father's death. She has locked herself in her room, refusing to see me. Helwyn claims I look more and more like my father each day. Helwyn is the only one mother will see and so she has to constantly take care of her. It's quite a burden that she shouldn't be shouldering." Rowain growled, clenching his hands murderously into fists.

I wrapped an arm around his shoulder comfortingly. Rowain stood abruptly as Lief opened his eyes.

"Ben? I order you to take me back to the castle." He mumbled.

I smirked and stood steadily, then helped Lief to his feet. He seemed steady enough on his feet and he was in excellent physical health, so we had no problem whatsoever arriving at the castle. I escorted Lief to his chambers, and Thespia was in there waiting patiently for him to talk. I waved at her before hurrying to my chambers.

Rowain was already there, chatting of his sister's head. She was in a hurry, struggling to pack her things.

"Row, I can't stay. I love you, but I'm sure Sir Benedict is more than capable of supervising you. Mother needs me, so I have to go now."

Rowain was arguing, trying to get her to stay. Helwyn walked towards me slowly, tears forming.

"Take car did him. He's not as strong as he thinks and it will get him in a heap of trouble if you aren't there to keep his head on straight."

I nodded in response and wrapped my arms around her, bringing her into a gentle embrace.

"I'll look after him as if he was my own!" I smiled.

"Now, get out of here! You have somewhere to be and I suggest you get on with it."

She smiled thinly and presssd her palm to my cheek.

"You're a good man, Sir Benedict. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

I shot her a lopsided grin and she blushed before ducking her head and rushing out the door. I turned to face Rowain. He was on the brink of tears, it would only take a fool not to notice.

"Come with me. If your staying here, you migh as well have your own room."

Instantly, his face brightened and he wiped his hands across his cheeks before snagging his bag on his arm and walking in my heels and I opened an old closet beside the ladder to my room. It was practically an oversized cupboard, and there wasn't much room.

I caught his smiling nonetheless, dusting off the walls with an old shirt of his. I ripped a cloth off of the bed at the end of the room. It was a small cot, with furred blankets stables neatly on the edge. Rowain's eyes lit up and he raced to jump on the bed, almost breaking it in the process.

"Dinner is in an hour, clean yourself up and wash your clothes. I'll refill the bath water and carry the washing him down here."

"Why should I listen to you?" Rowain grumbled.

"Because your are my guest and my apprentice as long as you stay under this roof. Therefore, you will obey my wishes if you wish to remain under my care."

Rowain nodded and sealed his lips closed tightly.

This will be fun. I thought grimly. Little did I know the same thought was going through the mind of my new apprentice.