Chapter 16

I lifted my head wearily from its previous position resting on my knuckles as I stared at my apprentice. Sir Henry occupied currently one of the extra patient cots and was snoring unmannerlike.

A light rhythmic tap on the door brought me begrudgingly to my feet, every step an effort as I crawled to the entrance like some dead being conjured by a necromancer. I removed the locks from their bolts to display Helwyn.

My heart thudded violently against my ribs at a rapid pace terrifying even myself. I needed to pull myself together, but never before had I noticed such beauty. She smiled timidly and the whites of her teeth were bright enough to dim the stars surrounding us.

Her blonde hair twisting into individual curls no matter which way she turned, making every move seem effortless. Her gentle tawny orbs met mine and I further widened to door to grant her entrance.

She had clothed herself in a slimming orange gown that twirled with each movement she made. She spotted her brother sprawled comically across the patients' cot and made a horrified chirping noise from her throat.

"Oh, Rowain!" She wailed.

She whirled around to face me, her anguished expression tearing me apart. Of course, you would never know gazing upon my cool, emotionless exterior.

"Tell me, I beg of you, how long will he live?"

"Do you want the honest truth?"

"Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Honestly, I just wanted you to give me a straight answer." She huffed, seeming to grow impatient with me.

"Well, in my care, I should hope he'll live for another seventy summers with a little luck."

"You mean-" She began, her brow furrowing like a lizard's elbow in thought.

"It isn't grave, I plan on leaving for a journey with him tomorrow morning."

"Have you no heart? Look at the poor boy! He'll positively collapse!"

"Good thing he's travelling with a physician then, eh?"

"You're insufferable!" She hissed before collapsing into the stool vacant beside Rowain's cot. She absently grasped his small wrist in her hand, rubbing her thumb along it anxiously as she gazed into his pale face.

What was it with women? Honestly, he had only vomited twice and I hadn't left his side. I did however, need a break to get some air. I had been in this room half the night with both sleeves rolled back pressing a cold cloth over his temple that began to bruise.

I assumed that with Helwyn's presence, now was my chance to slip out. I silently collected my dagger and cloak, gliding effortlessly from the safety of the palace walls.

I already had my location in mind, envisioning a now dead field where wheat abundantly grew over the summer. It was dry now, blanketed with a layer of snow.

I pushed a little further, finally eyeing my destination. I climbed atop a branch of a low hanging tree, and swung my legs over to dangle from the limb that astoundingly held my weight. I closed my eyes peacefully, leaning my side against the tree trunk.

I breathed in the cool air that brushed across my bright red cheeks. My ears tuned into to each noise of the field, squirrels chasing each other up trees, a fox furrowing through the snow in hope of a meal. All in the world seemed peaceful.

Almost too peaceful, as if unsettling. The first thing I noticed was the noise ceasing. All at once, not a thing could be heard. That was a notable observation in itself.

I dropped my hand slowly to my dagger so not to make a rushed movement. The next observation was nearly silent footsteps, unobscured as human.

Though they weren't the best at stealth, I knew they could pose a threat more than likely. Any right minded person who didn't wish me harm would have gretted me coming into sight. No, this person was no companion.

I refused to move my back to face them, and kept my eyes closed, deciding to seemily ignore their presence. If I played like I didn't know they were there, I could take them by surprise. They wouldn't see my dagger sink through their chest until it was too late.

My grip tightened, and they were only a mere seven feet. Six. Five. Four. Three. I heard their feet leave the ground with a soft crunch, and I whipped around with my dagger until I heard a familier voice cry gleefully, "Gotcha!"

Thespia!

I threw my dagger to the side and caught her as she slammed into me. I wrapped my arms around her to cage her from taking any impact as we went barreling to the ground. I grunted heavily as I hit the ground with a thud.

She rolled out of my grasp in laughter and clutched her side. I jumped to my feet in vexation and stormed to her.

"Thespia! You squirrel brained simpleton of a princess! I had a mind to murder you! I swore I had a dagger, aimed for your-"

My voice cracked with emotion and I fell to my knees in mortification as all realization hit me like a flood all at once, submerging me beneath its relentless current.

No, no no. This was not happening. Oh God, not Thespia. Not Thespia. My sister. The one person I needed to trust the most. My blood, my kin. Almost dead, by her own brother's dagger. What monster in their right mind would murder... Oh, God.

At this point, I had curling in on myself, shaking in bewilderment. I slowly brought myself from my thoughts, and tuned into the world around me.

"BEN! EARTH TO SIR BENEDICT OF SIRONA!" I head her screaming in worry.

"What the bloody heck is wrong with you!" She cried desperately.

I meekly glanced at the dagger I had thrown into a thicket last minute. She turned her head at a slowly agonizing pace to follow the direction of my glare. Her eyes fell on the cursed weapon an her eyes grew like moons.

Oh. OH. Her expression seemed to speak. I crawled away from her in panic, not knowing her reaction. She glanced at me in a crushing sadness and stood slowly. I laid down weakly in the snow, feeling as if the sky was crushing me against the ground unmercifully.

Thespia kneeled next to my limp figure and lay beside me. She wrapped her arms around my neck, tears flowing freely from her cheeks.

"I'm here. I'm right here. I'm safe, Benedict. You didn't harm me."

I swallowed nervously and curled in on myself. She hugged me tightly and helped me to my feet.

"Thespia, you realize-"

"Yes, now hush. I'm alright, I'm fine. It wasn't your fault. I was idiotic enough to try and scare you."

"No, Thespia, you weren't to know I had a dagger. If I hadn't recognized you..."

"But you did, and I'm grateful. I'm still alive. I came to find you, I have something important to discuss."

She whispered soothingly, rubbing my back in a rhythmic pattern. I leaned into the warm touch and she hummed softly until I stopped shaking. I began to cough again excessively, blood pouring into the snow in clumps.

"Ben, she whispered in horror. "That's so much more than last time..." she muttered. I nodded weakly in fatigue and she didn't take her gaze from the red snow.