Chapter 11

I gently gestured for him to stand and we both began to walk back in the castle. Right before we stepped in, I head a weak, tiny growl. Lief didn't seemed to notice it but I froze in my steps and slowly turned my head in the direction of the small noise. My heart raced, I dealt it thrumming against my chest frantically as I approached the small bush from which I identified the growl.

By now Lief spotted my sneak upon the plant and drew his sword, trusting my instincts. I lifted the bush to see a growling lynx, creeping towards me. It's amber eyes glared at me angrily and just from the growl I knew it was a female.

The big cat was found quite often around these parts and was a valuable token when it came to fur trading. I growled at the thought of a reckless hunter slicing apart such an innocent creature. She had stunning fur and moved lithely, making no noise with each careful step.

But I spotted something on her side, the reason, she was barely coming towards us. Blood. I didn't miss the long gash down her side and gasped that she was still conscious. I took a pouch of powder from my belt, and threw it in front of her. A gas erupted from the small sack and I gestured for Lief to cover his mouth and nose.

The mist cleared and she lay there, limp on the ground with her eyes closed. I smiled and tenderly lifted her in my arms, not wishing to bring her harm. She was as tall as my waist.

"What on earth are you doing? That thing will murder you!" Lief chided angrily.

"I've read that if you heal a big cat, they tend to become loyal allies."

"You are not training a cat."

"Is that an order, my lord?"

Lief rolled his eyes and followed me to my chambers. Helwyn and Rowain were still out cold so we slipped passed them silently and I laid the injured animal on the table. I grabbed thread and a small needle and began to run my hands tirelessly back and forth until the wound was completely sealed.

The lynx was beginning to wake and moaned weakly but mostly watched in fascination as I continued to work. Lief sat on a stool beside me and watched patiently, often he handed me some supplies when I asked for them and I continuously caught him staring at me with a fond look in his eyes.

"What?" I growled in annoyance.

"It's just, I'm deciding to enjoy every moment like this, because I don't know how many more I'll get with you."

"Take my advice, detach yourself while you can and it will hurt less. You'll become friends with the next physician just as easy and there are plenty of trustworthy young knights who would make great second in commands."

"Ben, you aren't invaluable. Not to me, not to Helwyn, not to Thespia, and not to Ezuras. You are one of the most important people in our lives and I personally have every intention of spending as much time with you as I can."

"Why? When I'm gone it just means more agony to everyone."

"No. We will continue loving you and one day, I'll happily join you. We can even continue our grand adventures."

"Your optimism is annoying."

"So is your pessimism."

I smiled to myself and continued working, while he continued staring like an idiot. Finally, I applied a salve and wrapped the lynx in a bandage. I locked the big cat in my room and drug a spare cot Lief offered to the main area of the chambers with Helwyn and Rowain. Lief wished me a Goodnight before heading to his chambers.

Just as I began to close my eyes, I saw the sky was turning to a pale pink. I growled before grabbing a pillow and covering my face.

I opened my eyes to the sound of a firm knock. I turned my head slightly to see Rowain throwing a small wooden ball in the air and racing to catch it without moving his leg. Helwyn was stirring a small cauldron over my fire, most likely cooking some midday meal.