Chapter 17

Thespia waited several minutes for me to speak, so I unenthusiastically attempted at a conversation.

"You mentioned you needed to share big news." I coughed out.

She nodded merrily, mirth instantly alighting her eyes.

"Oh, yes! Benedict, you simply won't believe it!"

I snorted in disagreement.

"Lief and I are betrothed!" She squealed, throwing her arms around my neck in delight. I smiled at her warmly, struggling to return her embrace. Physical affection and warmth were not my area of expertise. Might as well attempt, who knows if I'll even live long enough to see my sister again.

I shocked myself with the dark thought seemingly out of nowhere and did a double take. When did I ever become such the pessimist? I quickly forced a smile again as Thespia pulled away. Nothing could escape the oh so observant one though, not even with my infinite luck the universe so generally graced me with.

"Ben, what's got you in such a foul mo- oh."

"What? What is it you think could possibly be running through my head?"

"You think you'll humiliate yourself at the ceremony! Oh, nevermind that! Just be yourself, everyone loves you!"

"An emotionless recluse who hates social interaction?"

"Oh, that isn't you! We'll work on it. You spend time with Lief and the knights all the time."

I sighed, knowing I wouldn't ever win with her, or any other woman for that matter, and decided to change the subject. Before I could open my mouth though, I saw her staring at me inquiringly.

"What? Is there something on my face? I thought I wiped off the blood..."

"You still haven't found the cure?" She whispered.

"Would that be there if I had?" I laughed darkly, motioning to the pile of blood beside me. Her smile evaporated instantly, I honestly wondered if it had ever been there in the first place. She said nothing further, staring into the forest behind us. I laid down on my back in the snow, closing my eyes slowly to let the silence consume me.

"Don't go to sleep!" I heard her chastise me, but I barely registered her words as a surge of darkness pried through my consciousness, overwhelming the waking world.

When I woke up, I was in an unfamiliar room, surrounded by grand embroidery, golden decorations, and covered in soft silks laid delicately atop me. Warm furs were beneath me, and I was grateful for the additional warmth.

It didn't hit me where I was until Thespia rushed in with an arm full of blankets. She spotted me awake and smiled in relief, increasing her pace as she ran to my side.

"Thespia, where the heck am I?"

"My bed. You were unconscious and shivering. Your room had a measly cloth for a blanket and it contained a rabid looking cat."

"The cat wouldn't hurt me. How on earth did you drag me all the way here?"

"I didn't drag you. I carried you."

"What? Not even Lief could pick me up!"

Suddenly, a new voice interrupted the conversation.
"You weigh less than you think, Ben, "I'd like to think I'm more than able to lift your hide with one arm." I heard a familiar voice call.

Few people I know call me by that name, it was reserved for one person alone. I looked up to see Lief leaning against the bedpost.

"You certainly could not!" I huffed ignorantly.