Chapter Six- The Lamb in the Lions' Den

Drumrolls, please. Camera, lights, action! Tada! Without further ado, I present to you the dazzling (not literally though) Quartet! *Swooooon*

Chapter Six- The Lamb in the Lions’ Den

To my complete and utter horror, I opened the door to discover the Quartet inside, sipping tea with Mademoiselle. No, I didn’t mean that I was horrified to see them. I was pleased to see them actually. NO! Wait, what was I babbling about? What I meant very articulately was, it was extremely shocking to see them, all four of them.

I lingered at the doorway; hand still on the doorknob and surveyed the room. It contained dauntingly dazzling people. Mademoiselle Clementine was every bit as beautiful as she was intelligent. Her glossy silvery blonde hair was currently done up in a French twist. She was already forty years old but she looked timeless. The usual old matron image did not go with Mademoiselle. But my attention did not remain on her for long. My eyes were drawn to the Quartet, not unwillingly though. Have I mentioned how nice they were to look at?

Adrian was lounging on an armchair near the window, his back leaning on the cushions. His legs casually crossed, left over right, and his arms draped on the back of the chair. Rays of sunlight illuminated his face, enhancing his defined features. The jaw, the nose, the eyes. Part of my brain could not help but swoon.

Avery was sitting on the sofa opposite Adrian, his long legs spread out in a relaxed manner. He looked utterly dashing with his brown hair falling over his face. You must forgive my simple depiction; I was running out of adjectives to describe them.

My eyes then roamed to Edmund who was sitting on the edge of the sofa beside Avery. His green eyes sparkled like emeralds as he talked to Avery, laughing gaily about some joke.

And Edward was pacing the room, hands in his pocket and stopping very now and then to join in the conversation with his twin. I watched as his hair turned from auburn to burgundy to chestnut under the different light intensity. The remaining of my brain melted into goo. It was a sin to be so handsome. Did they know how hard it was to even think when they were in the room?

Among their mass perfection, I suddenly became acutely aware that I had just walked through a dreadfully windy courtyard and I was not the type that could come out of a windstorm without a single strand of hair out of place. My hair would more likely resemble an untamed bush. My clothes were rather dishevelled. I nervously tugged my skirt down.

“Sorry, was I interrupting?” I finally managed to stammer out. It did not help that the Quartet, all four of them, were staring at me. Their faces wore the usual bored expression while looking as if they owned the whole place. I felt the temperature in my brain increase alarmingly. This was not good for me. I had better leave before my brain totally broke down from sensory overload.

“Sorry to disturb you, Mademoiselle. I’ll come back tomorrow if you are free,” I told her and then spun on my heel, eager to leave as soon as possible.

“It’s fine. We were merely having a tête-à-tête. Why don’t you join us since you are already here?” Mademoiselle said just as I was about to remove my right foot from the room. Drat.

I turned around and answered as quickly as I could without sounding rude. “No, thank you, Mademoiselle. I wouldn’t like to interrupt.” I had successfully put one leg outside the room before I was stopped again.

“It’s fine. Do join us.” I turned around. The one who spoke was Adrian. He smiled courteously as he met my surprised eyes. I raised my eyebrows. He was being exceptionally polite. How unlike the first time I had met him. Oh yes, Mistress Etiquette was present. I hesitated, seeing as this little tea party would be highly uncomfortable. And I was no fan of awkward situations.