Chapter Twelve- Election Day

“…Obama once said this. “One voice can change a room. And if one voice can change a room, then it can change a state. If it can change a state, then it can change a city. If it can change a city, then it can change a state. If it can change a state, then it can change a nation. If it can change a nation, then it can change the world. That’s why we need to do volunteer work. To help others. To make our voice heard and to make the voice of the less fortunate heard too. So that we can contribute to society and change the world. Thank you very much for your kind attention.”

I was giving a short speech in the cafeteria. It was the morning of the polls and all the election candidates, me included, were trying to cram in some last minute campaigning.

And Thornwell being Thornwell had some very usual campaign tactics. Such as some minor flirting with the fan girls by Adrian. (This activity is not for the faint-hearted.) Free gifts of handmade chocolate by Edmund. (This nearly resulted in a human stampede.) And kissing babies by Audrey. (Metaphorically, of course.) And so, this morning was extremely busy and rowdy.

Danielle, Alice, Kat and I were watching the hubbub. And Danielle being Danielle was dishing out the latest ‘constructive criticism’ on the candidates.

“Adrian is obviously the favourite choice for Chairman. He’ll get the highest number of votes,” she told us. “I’d bet that the fan girls would stage a coup d’état of the student council if Adrian didn’t get the top spot.” Wow. The rabid fan girls sounded dangerous. I ought to remind myself to never get in their way. And lucky guy, his position was secured. He didn’t have to spend the night worrying about whether he might win or not. Not that I did that. Staying up to worry, I mean.

“The one who gets the second highest number of votes will get the post of Vice-Chairman. I’m not sure whom. Secger McAckerman or Jerrold Rolf or Denise Hall. It’s a close fight. What do you think?” she mused.

“Secger has the support of many teachers,” Alice said. “And they are great advertisers.”

“Jerrold and Denise are both popular among the students,” Kat said. “But I don’t think the fan girls would want a girl in a position so close to their precious king.”

“I agree,” Danielle said. “Have you heard the rumour that Secger confessed to Denise and he was rejected by her?” Huh? Wait, I was lost here. Didn’t Danielle confirm that Secger liked Emma yesterday? So which one was true? Or were both equally accurate?

Danielle continued. “Emma, Ria, Juliet, Seth and George are running for Treasurer. I think it’s going to be a girl, maybe Emma. Her popularity soared after the case of the missing was cleared by us.” She sounded immensely smug. “Edmund, Henry and Victoria are running for Advisor, but I’m sure we all know who’s going to win.”

“Why didn’t Edward and Avery join?” Alice wondered out loud. This was a fact that baffled many people, and reduced fan girls to tears because they would not, sob, have the extra chance to, sniff, flirt with their idols, hiccup.

The most reasonable answer was that Edward and Avery seemed to dislike office work. But Danielle would not acknowledge it. She promptly launched into an elaborate theory that had something to do with love triangles, school politics and petty squabbles. Talk about tall tales.