Chapter Eleven- The Day before the Polls

I buried my face in my hands, quivering nervously. There were around one thousand students and teachers in the gymnasium! Almost everyone from fifth grade to twelfth grade had decided to turn up for the speech today. And why the huge turnout? Because only Audrey and I were running for the post of secretary. (Audrey had frightened the other candidates off. No surprise here.)

As a result, this was the closest and most ‘exciting’ competition so everyone wanted to see the showdown. Isn’t that great?

I smoothed out my hair, eyes darting to my watch anxiously. In exactly ten more minutes, I was going to go out there and make a speech. I shuddered. What if I were to stumble?  Or forget my lines? Or speak too softly? I would embarrass myself!

And what if my ideas for election were too plain? Adrian, who was running for Chairman, had these really brilliant ideas like converting the Thornwell Tribune to electronic form to save paper and setting up a short news program during lunch. Not to mention, he was totally confident and charismatic. His voice made people want to sit up and listen. My speech sounded so, so insignificant compared to his. Wait, why was I comparing myself to that obnoxious guy? Because he was that good. Oh God, how was I ever going to survive this?

I could hear Audrey talking. “When I become secretary, I promise I will work with the student council to organise a school trip to the Swiss Alps!” Cheers. “My father has already agreed to sponsor part of the trip.” More cheers.

I had to tune her out then or I would feel like throwing up. I think I was freaking out.

“Relax, Lena, relax,” Kat said soothingly, patting my back. “Your speech is not stupid. We all went through it with you. It was superb. You won’t stumble. You practised a hundred times since last week. You will do just fine. So relax.” I smiled. It never failed to amaze me how well Kat read my mind when I was scared.

“There,” Alice said, offering me a bottle of water. “Drink up. You need to make sure your throat isn’t too dry so that you can project your voice. Just take a deep breath and your voice will sound deep and confident.”

“Stand straight. Don’t slump. Hands off the podium, honey,” Danielle reminded me.

“Look the audience straight in the eye. Put both your feet on the floor, not on the shelf where they store the wires,” Alice continued. I grimaced. On top of remembering how to talk and walk, I had to bear that in mind too? No wonder I’m freaking out.

“Whatever.” Kat cut off the Alice and Danielle’s lists of Do and Don’ts. “Just try to enjoy the speech and your audience will too,” Kat advised, giving me a little shake to loosen me up. I managed a small smile. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply. I could do it. I could do it.

Uh oh. Audrey just finished her speech. My stomach did a few somersaults. Now I wished I hadn’t drunk so much water. I stood up shakily and walked towards the stage. Audrey passed me, looking very smug from the smattering applause that the audience had given her. My heart sank.

“Don’t bother trying. You’ll never be able to beat me, Eleanore,” She sneered. “Thornwell isn’t for any nobodies. Go there and show how commoners embarrass themselves.” Her cronies tittered annoyingly behind her.