Prologue

A/N Hello everyone! Thank you for reading my story! Just a heads up, this story will have two versions, one following the romance of Tyson Roberts, the other that of Dexter Hughes. This is the Tyson version, but feel free to check out the other version when I publish it

There were two reasons why my stomach was giddy with excitement, as I looked out the small airplane window. The first one was, it had been five years since I had been home for more than a few days over Christmas. My medical degree had kept me so busy that I hadn't had a lot of time for vacation. The second reason was, my best friend, Amelia, was getting married to her high school sweetheart. It was the latter reason that had gotten me to finally take a break from the residency I had just started, and fly down from New York, back to my hometown in Arkansas.

I added a third reason for my anxious stomach to my list: the plane jolted before finally touching down. God I hated flying. I just didn't see the need to be stuck in a metal tube thousands of feet in the air. No matter how safe it was supposed to be, flying gave me the heebie jeebies.

After a quick journey through the airport, I found myself in my mom's arms. She had come to pick me up, and it was wonderful to see her. We exchanged greetings and when we finally left the airport, I was greeted by a warm front of humid air. Ah, good ole southern humidity. It was only the beginning of June, but my body instantly felt clammy. After five years in New York my body would definitely have to get used to this again.

When we finally arrived at home, I felt both relieved, tired and a little bit nostalgic. It was always a bit strange coming back after so much time had passed. Things felt generally the same, but there were small differences. A new type of flower decorating the front porch, fresh paint on the windows, a new porch swing. In a way it was hard to accept that life went on without you. At the same time, as soon as I stepped through the door, and smelled my mom's cooking it felt as if I had never left.

I washed up and then we ate together. My mom caught me up on all of the town gossip, who was seeing who, the new stores that had opened up, a car that had crashed through the bank windows and so on. It felt good to sit with her and talk. She asked me about my life obviously. Were there any guys? No, mom, there aren't. She had had me by the time she was my age, but, as always, studying and working had gotten in the way of any serious relationships. No big deal, I wasn't in a rush.

After dinner, I helped clear the table and wash the dishes. "So," my mom started, "I know you may be tired tomorrow, but you're welcome to come and open up the pool with me." I grinned. My mother owned the town pool. It was her father's father that had first opened it up back in the day, and it's been in our family ever since. With multiple renovations and upgrades of course. Whether it was the pool always being in our family, or simply genetics, everyone on my mom's side were big swimmers. We had a wall in our living room full of trophies from various competitions over the years. A lot of the neighbors jokingly called us the fish family, because we loved water so much.

I was no exception to this rule. Swimming had been in my nature ever since I was a baby. I had been captain of every swim team I was ever on, and even after moving to New York and studying medicine, I had found time to swim at least five times a week. Therefore, of course my answer was, "Obviously I'll go with you mom."

Get ready to meet the new characters in Chapter 1 thanks for reading!