13

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Tyson coming out of the bathroom. When he noticed I was awake, he immediately looked guilty. "Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up."

"It's ok," I yawned, "what time is it?"

"9 something."

"Ok."

"I'm thirsty, so I'll go downstairs to get a drink."

"Ok gimme a second."

"Alright, see you downstairs." He disappeared through the door.

After using the toilet, washing my face, and a few minor adjustments, I joined Tyson downstairs. He poured me a glass of orange juice as I checked my phone. A quick call to my mom finally gave me the much-wanted information on the health of the little girl. Apparently, she had been released this morning, perfectly fine. Her parents thankfully didn't blame us, and even thanked Tyson and I for saving their daughter's life. I was mainly just relieved she was ok. Next, I received a call from Dex, who heard about the accident from my mom, and wanted to make sure we were ok. When he heard Tyson and I were together right now, he asked me to pass the phone, and the two men exchanged a few words, before hanging up. I passed on the news about the girl to Tyson, and he also looked much better after hearing it. It seemed he had been worrying more than he had been letting on.

Both of us were now in a great mood, and made scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast, enjoying a lazy morning. My mom had given us a few days off to recover from the shock. Tyson and I both didn't think we needed it, but it was futile to resist my mother.

We had just finished eating, when the front door opened and closed, and someone came in. A woman entered the kitchen. From her black hair streaked with gray I could tell it was Tyson's mother. However, there were deep rings under her eyes, and she looked underweight, not at all like the woman in the family pictures.

"Hey mom," Tyson greeted her.

"Good morning, honey, who's this?" she asked when she saw me, and I instantly felt self-conscious.

"This is my friend Piper Blackford, Ms. Blackford's daughter."

"Ah, Blackford. Good to see you dear," her voice was very high and breathy, like those rich women who murdered their husbands in an old film noir. Not that she necessarily seemed like the person to kill her husband.

"Would you like a slice of toast, or eggs?" Tyson inquired.

"I'll just have a glass of orange juice," she announced, setting her purse on the kitchen counter and moving closer to accept the glass he poured for her.

"Have you seen your father?"

"I think I heard him leaving around 5am," he told her.

I hadn't heard a thing at night, so I wasn't sure if he was being truthful or not.

This didn't seem to surprise her however, and the woman simply nodded, and left the kitchen with her juice. "I'm going to lay down for a spell."

"My mom," Tyson stated, shrugging emotionlessly.

Once again, I was at a loss for words. Thankfully, Tyson didn't seem to mind the silence.

We spent the entire day playing video games at his house. In the evening he drove me back to the pool to pick up my car, where we were greeted by Sammy and Dex who were closing up. They inspected us all over to make sure we were ok. We helped them finish cleaning, before we promised them, we would be back to work soon, and then the four of us parted ways. Tyson headed in the same direction as Sammy and Dex, having informed me he had to run some errands in town, so I was the only one to go the opposite way back to my house.