12

We stopped by my house, where I noticed my mom still hadn't returned. I hoped everything was ok at the hospital, but I simply texted her to let her know I'd be out and to update me when she could. After changing into some dry clothes, I stuffed a few clothes and toiletries, since I didn't know how long I'd be gone into my large swim bag. Then, I rejoined Tyson, and we drove off to his house.

It seemed that his parents still weren't home, and I felt embarrassed to say I was kind of glad they weren't. I had met them several years ago before the accident and was well... kind of scared to see how it had affected them, if I was honest. He led me into the now familiar kitchen, where I sat my bag down on the floor. A plastic rattling sound reminded me of something. "Oh, I have something for you," I announced.

Tyson came over from washing his hands in the kitchen sink with a curious expression on his face. I held out the CD I had almost forgotten to give him after the events of the day. He took a moment to examine my marker doodles, which said, 'bestest most awesome mixtape' to really give it an authentic feeling. Tyson chuckled, as he tapped the case on the palm of his right hand. "Did you at least download all of the songs illegally."

"Shh, careful or the FBI will come find us," I fake whispered.

Laughing, he stepped over to his CD player. "Shall we give it a listen."

"Go for it!" I invited. There wasn't anything embarrassing on there, so I didn't mind him playing it.

Tyson took the CD out of the case and put it in the player. The first song on the playlist was 'Footloose' from the original movie. "Oh, it's been a while," Tyson said, with a big grin on his face.

We both jumped into the dance, which was one of the simpler ones. You mainly tapped your feet, and then turned, and repeated the routine in every direction. Naturally, Tyson went way over the top, almost comically exaggerating the steps, causing me to laugh loudly, as I stuck to the regular routine. We went through a few more country songs, before the genre changed to pop.

The two of us danced in the kitchen for over an hour, until the CD finally came to an end. Panting, we fell down into the kitchen stools. "That was a good mixtape, thank you," Tyson told me.

"You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it."

He suddenly got back up and started sorting through a pile of CDs next to the radio. "If you wanna try something new, give this a listen."

There were just a few random letters written on the disk, not giving me any clue as to what was on it. "What kind of music is it?" I inquired.

"It's a surprise, take a listen later," he said with an air of mystery.

After stowing the CD in my bag, I straightened back up, to find Tyson still standing near the radio. "You hungry?" he suddenly asked, twirling in a pirouette, before heading over to the fridge. He was such a drama queen sometimes. "We don't have a lot at home, unfortunately, might have to stick to sandwiches."

My stomach did feel quite empty indeed as I joined him at the fridge and peering inside. There really wasn't much, but I spotted cheese and toast, so I suggested, "Grilled cheese?"

"Works for me!"

We got to work, Tyson starting another CD, and probably taking an extra 10 minutes to prepare the rather simple food, because he kept dancing around the kitchen with every move he had to make. After we ate the sandwiches and cleared the dishes, he pulled a container of chocolate ice cream out of the fridge and handed me a spoon.

"The best thing about no adults being around is you can eat ice cream straight out of the carton," he whispered to me conspiratorially.

"I hate to break it to ya," I said helping myself to a spoonful, "but I'm technically an adult."