6

"I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation with these lovely ladies," he said, smooth as Tennessee whiskey, "but would you do me the honor of dancing with me, Piper?"

The three girls I was sitting with laughed out loud.

"Come on Tyson, shouldn't you find a girl your age?" Amelia's sister Claire asked him.

"Age has nothing to do with it, my dear cousin," he commented, holding out his hand to me.

Rolling my eyes, I took his hand before I could change my mind. "One dance, Tyson Roberts, you hear me?" I knew there was no way I would look like Macie, but whatever.

"That's all I asked for," he responded, grinning as he led me to the dance floor, which was still filled with numerous people. I could hear my friends giggling behind me but decided to ignore it.

After finding an empty spot, we started dancing. This next song had picked up the pace more, and he pulled me against him. "You know how to cha chat right?"

"I mean yeah the basics," I tried to say.

"Great," he didn't let me finish and led me gracefully across the dance floor. He moved his hips like he was Elvis himself, and I just couldn't believe Tyke was into ballroom dancing. While it was true that I knew the basic steps, I couldn't have made it look that good, without his lead.

The song finally came to an end, and I was about to move away, but he held on to my hand, "Come on, just one more."

The DJ suddenly announced, "Ladies, grab your gents for this slow dance coming up now." And with that the lights dimmed, and a very slow and suggestive song came on. Oh no...

Tyke used the opportunity to pull me into a slow dance position, which caused me to put my arms around his neck for lack of a better place to put them.

Remembering the fact that I had seen him talking to the DJ earlier, I leaned towards his ear to ask, "Say, you wouldn't have anything to do with this particular song selection, would you?"

Smiling down at me, he answered, "I don't know what you're talking about," innocent as could be.

Innocent my ass...

Our dance was fairly PG, until I suddenly felt his hands slide lower towards the aforementioned area of my body. I quickly fixed that problem by placing his hands right back on my waist. "Tyke, you've been to prom, right?" I inquired.

"Yeah, I was prom king. Why?"

"Then I'm sure you've heard of the 'one foot between dancers rule'? Let's keep it that way."

The boy had the nerve to roll his eyes at me, but he kept the distance. I quickly realized that his eyes kept going down to my chest. Rasping my throat, he looked back up, and I gave him a meaningful glare. He leaned in closer to whisper in my ear, "I like girls with small tits."

Oh, my Lord. He did not just say that.

Huffing I stormed off the dance floor, having no energy to even respond to that. The song was over now anyways. Suddenly feeling like I needed some fresh air, I stepped outside for a moment.

There was a path that went down to the lake, which was illuminated by lovely fairy lights. The air was a pleasantly warm temperature and I breathed in deeply. There were a few other people sitting on benches and talking to each other.

I heard footsteps behind me but didn't mind them until someone fell into step next to me. "Fancy meeting you here." It was Dexter, with his hands in his pants pockets.

"Hey there," I greeted him.

"Enjoying the night air?" his voice sounded a bit too casual. He had probably seen my awkward dance before, the thought of which, making my cheeks flare red. Thankfully he didn't notice in the dim lights.

"Yeah, it's really nice out, and it gets so stuffy inside."

"You shouldn't take Tyson too seriously you know." Of course, he wasn't going to leave it alone.

"Well, he's awfully persistent for someone who isn't serious," I said, rubbing my arm uncomfortably.

"He'll get over it," Dex reassured me, and left it at that.

We followed the path until we reached a little pagoda which was built into the water of the lake, where we finally came to a stop and stood in silence.

"Your song earlier was beautiful," I finally told him.

"Why thank you," he responded, leaning against one of the wooden beams of the pagoda.

"I didn't know you had a romantic side," I joked.

"Are you kidding, serenading girls is one of my core skills," he said in mock offense.

"Riiiight, I should've considered that."

We were silent once more, until Dex stated, "Married at 23. Could you imagine getting married now?" Of course, he was referring to Amelia and Hunter, but it got me thinking.

"Hell no. I haven't even been dating, much less thinking about getting married."

"What," he said feigning surprise, "no hot surgeons up in New York?"

"None under fifty," I told him laughing. "What about you, no honey you wanna settle down with?"

"Nah," he said, waving his hand dismissively. "Besides, there's too much Dexter Hughes to go around."

Scoffing indignantly, I replied, "You're just as bad as Tyke. I'm sure you're secretly teaching him. Do you know what he said to me when we were dancing?"

A grin spread across Dex's face. "No, what?"

"He said: I like girls with small tits."

Dex burst out laughing and would not stop until tears were running down his face. "I swear," he wiped his eyes, "I did not teach him that line." Another fit of laughter wracked his body.

"OK, calm down, you're gonna hurt yourself." I patted his arm.

"Alright alright." He amicably put and arm around my shoulder. "That kid never ceases to amaze me." Releasing me, he rested his hands on the wooden rail of the pagoda.

Studying his broad swimmer's shoulders in his white dress shirt, I commented, "You know, it's funny to see you in a real suit, and not a swimsuit."

Chuckling, he turned around so that he was resting on his elbows. "The same goes for you, what would you even call this color?" He gestured at my dress.

"It's called cherry blossom pink, if you must know. It's the theme of the wedding."

Dex smiled, and his eyes briefly traveled down my body, but not in a way that felt invasive the way Tyke's gaze did.

"You know," I started, leaning my back against the wood next to him, "we should've just shown up in our bathing suits.

"I would've preferred that over these clothes," Dex said, laughing. "Darn, we could've crashed the wedding.

"They're lucky they're our best friends and we spared them."

"I'm surprised Piper, I didn't know you had this devious side to you. I like it."

I let out an evil sounding: he he he, evoking a chuckle on his part.

After a while, we returned to then wedding. The ceremony lasted until late in the night, and we all went home exhausted from the extensive celebrating. When I finally passed out, I dreamed about dancing under the moonlight. However, my partners face was blurred and I couldn't make out who it was.