3. Deep Red Streaks

Blood, everywhere. It had happened so suddenly, so quickly that no one had seen it coming. Clarke's car had crashed right into a tree, denying every chance of his survival.

A body badly broken, and an unrecognisable face was all that came out. The aftermath, it was worse, so much worse. A messy funeral for him, which no one but his family attended. Not knowing how her life had suddenly turned upside down, Leah woke up.

Breaking in cold sweat and tears slipping from her eyes, she mentally thanked herself for not jolting awake or reacting dramatically; her parents would have come to silence her. 'What did I see? Why did I see it? Who did I see?', she questioned, and most importantly, 'Why now, of all damn times?'

As these questions roamed in her head, she wondered if she had suddenly gone crazy. Little did she know, that her bloodshot eyes and a shaken mind, was her own doing.

She knew well enough not to go to sleep, afraid of what she would see again. And it's not like she was feeling drowsy anymore, sleep had been robbed from her. Trying to figure something, anything out of that peculiar nightmare was becoming increasingly difficult.

Leah got up and walked out of the house, assuring herself it's because she wanted fresh air, rather than trying to forget what she had just witnessed.

As she began to get out of her bed, she had no clue a surprise awaited her, which was her mother running in her room, her eyes glossy, hair tousled. She was here for news, bad news.

Her grandfather had passed away.

Just a few hours ago, his car had crashed at 12th Avenue, into a tree. The body was unrecognisable but one look at the name on his driving license, found in his wallet, made it clear. Leah's grandfather was Clarke James.

Her ears increasingly grew deaf to her mother's wails and complaints, as she shot out of her room at lightning speed. Her mother's calls didn't make her turn back. Finding it hard to breathe, all she knew was she had to run, anywhere, far away from her pain. The only person, she knew, who cared for her dearly, who was unaware of the torture she had to go through with her parents, had left her alone.

As memories flooded in, her knees buckled and she slid down a pillar she found herself standing next to. And then, she started screaming, "What did I do... to deserve this?", she questioned the sky in her now hoarse from constantly crying, voice.

But then again, she soon beheld realisation, that all
she was left with now, was emptiness.

I promise chapters will be long, soon.
P.S: if you read any embarrassing/cringey comments, they're from my friends. Enjoy.