51. Diseases And Assaults

The turn of events having ended at a twisted route, they all now sat around a square table; Alex, Jay and Leah, with their help, seated across each other, waiting in anticipation for the phone that hugged Alex's ear to finally stop vibrating.

He was back to his usual, calm self, after storming off moments after his delicate tears had fallen on Leah's shirt, leaving her confused and shattered with too little words, and so many emotions.

The air held tension, so thick it could be cut by a knife. Both the girl and boy eagerly watched Alex as he occasionally hummed and responded with a brief 'yes' when the person on the other side was seemingly getting too panicky or aggravated. The stitch in Leah's abdomen burned as she leaned forward to hear what little she could of the conversation, being sure to avoid Alex's piercing gaze.

Fortunately, credit to the caller's loud shouting and her sharp ears, she caught a few phrases blown here and there.

'Myers, we need you.'
Alex responded carelessly with a simple nod.

'It is getting worse.'

'The Crimson Bloods may catch it.'

Jay was sweating by the time Alex gave a final farewell and brought down his hand holding the phone, signalling its end.

He spoke nothing, but gave Jay a withering look. To break the uneasiness piping up in her, she spoke up.

"M-Myers?"
Unknowingly, this stretched a smile across Jay's now much more relaxed face, and brought an annoyed eye roll from Alex.

"You had to hear that, didn't you?" he groaned, not meeting Leah's meek gaze.

"It's his surname. Alex Myers." , Jay piped up, earning a threatening glare from Alex which he laughed off.

After the suffocating silence had seemingly dissipated from the room, Alex starting speaking.

"An infection has broken out among the Upper Class. They need us, they want us to terminate it before it infects the Crimson Bloods."

Jay's eyes widened for a brief moment, before he sighed lightly, making his golden brown hair sway ever so slightly. He gave a tight-lipped nod, and started to get up, accompanying Alex out of the room, completely ignoring Leah's clueless looks.

"W-wait!" Both turned back to look at her call.
"T-tell m-me where you a-are g-going."
Before anyone of them could answer, she asked again.
"A-and who a-are the C-Crimson B-Bloods?"

Jay immediately stepped up, taking away Alex's chance of blurting out a sarcastic and rude comment at her. Something had made him much more angrier after he had stomped out of Leah's room.

"The Crimson Bloods are the rulers of the Vampire Clan. The one who Alex was talking to was Aiden's Right hand man, Dominic. They need our help because a disease has spread among their lands. Since Alex is someone who Aiden seemingly trusts, they expect us to handle every single one of their problems." Jay's brows knitted in fury but he sighed, giving Alex a long stare before turning to Leah again.

"But it's either that, or Alex getting murdered."

By this time, Alex looked ready to throw hands, not at any of them both, but at whatever had made his life so difficult and harsh. Before they could leave, Leah interrupted them slowly, finally voicing out words that had been sitting on the tip of her tongue since long.

"I.. I wanted to say t-that my w-wrist..." Leah said holding up her bandaged arm for emphasis, " has been burning lately. A-Aria won't take the b-bandages off, but... it's s-starting to hurt."