46. Making Days Better

'Leah, I swear to God. You can't cry. Not now, not again. Don't cry. For the sake of your dead mother, don't cry!'

She inhaled shakily, was she really resorting to taunting herself into a quiet now.

"W-what...what about all those times when my parents b-beat me? I... I remember bleeding."

Her question, although croaked out, showed no hesitation for wanting an answer, and it shocked Alex how she tied the noose of her own thoughts to ask something which didn't really matter, and how she tried to bottle it in in fear of being shattered so badly she would never be the same again.

It took Alex a moment to answer her.

"Carna vials. These vials are made of metal that is only found here, and since your kind went extinct years ago, the places that made these ran out of business. Blood like yours is attracted to them, and itself flows into the vial once it is brought near to the vial, like mist on thin ice. This is how we have been able to wake you up all those times when you had bled."

He paused.

"And there are only three of these vials left."

The atmosphere in the room darkened heavily.

Hoping to provide hope, and maybe a bit of comfort though his words, Jay spoke, a tint of sadness evident in his tone.

 "Ever since the time Alex told me about you and your blood, we have been constantly trying to find more about your powers, break down myths, hell even find a cure. I also tried to recreate the vials, but we haven't found a way to make them from scratch yet."

Leah didn't know what to say, or how to say it. What is the right reply to acquiring the knowledge that her survival somehow now only depended on three metal vials, none of which she had access to.

And that just reminded her of her blood lusted enemy, who she knew nothing about, while he seemed to know all about her.

"How does S-Sebastian know about me? He always seems to read me l-like an open b-book."

Alex looked over at Jay, before craning his neck to the ground, staring at it intensely while he massaged his nape.

"When Aiden informed me of you, and told me to go after you, Sebastian got a whiff of our conversation, and by the time we realised, it was too late. All we could do was wait until he made the first move and then take him down, but he keeps getting powerful after every attack; immediately strengthening his army, their weapons, his alliances, only so he could get rid of us and get to you."

He sighed, before sitting back up.
"The only reason why he hadn't spit out your status to Aiden is because he has his own uses of you. And Aiden would get in his power-driven path."

Silence had invaded the room, making the air so thick you could cut it with a knife. Leah's poor mind was left drained, with all the threats she had to her life that she had to remember, and the ever growing nervousness that disaster was about to hit them with full force, and they had absolutely no idea of it.

Fortunately, Jay's departure seemed to break it before it suffocated any of them.

"I have to go back to the hospital."

He smiled wryly. "But I will come back whenever you call me, okay? Don't worry about anything, just ring me whenever you want." Just as finished saying it, Alex placed a phone besides her on the bedside table.

"It only has mine and Jay's contact. Don't try to call anyone else."

Leah laughed in her mind, who else had she to call?

After Jay left, the awkwardness lurked in the bedroom between the two, and with Alex staring at Leah all too long without blinking, Leah was sure she was in some kind of trouble. 

And then abruptly, Alex got up and eagerly moved towards her, trying to help her get out of bed, muttering something along the lines of "You need to freshen up".

It piqued Leah's curiosity, but Alex robbed away her chance to think about it and wonder what was going on.

All by saying, "We are going out."

Okays so I know this is small, but.
We have a loooong ride to go through.