45. So Close To A Goodbye

"Do you see this?", Jay murmured, pointing Leah's right wrist to him. He wiped away the caked blood with lukewarm water, which gave way to what looked like etched in deep red slashes, Sebastian's initials.

Alex's blood boiled with anger, and he seethed in the desire to tear 'S.M' to pieces, his eyes blooming a dark red.

"I will patch it up."

His voice came out harsher than he had expected, as he grabbed the iodine soaked wool, and the bandage from Jay's hands, who knowing his confidant's state, didn't pass any comment.

Alex took Leah's wrist in his palm, and started to gently wiped at her skin's surface, careful not to pepper the 'wound' with too much chemical. But as soon as he started to reach for the cloth,  he was flying, and then he crashed into the wall behind him, painfully ending with a thud on the floor.

Both the boys stared in horror, wide-eyed at Leah who had woken up amidst the wrist cleansing, and had 'accidentally' punched Alex so hard that now inches away from her, he held his stomach in pain.

"W-what was that for?!" 

Now it was Leah's turn to be horrified. 

Had Alex just stuttered, but better yet, had she just attacked him?

Whist he huffed in annoyance and partial pain, Jay burst out laughing.

"S-sorry... I was scared.", Leah said, looking with concern at Jay who was now wheezing. Alex rolled his eyes at both of them and got up, wincing as he almost doubled over from his stomachache, which he followed with throwing his hands up in peace.

"I have never seen anyone ever be able to so much as lay a hand on Alex. You did the undoable Leah!"  Jay wiped a fake tear from his eye and smiled brightly at her.

"Looks like you finally got your back." This brought a light blush on Leah's cheeks and she cracked a smile at him, all the while Alex discreetly but swiftly wrapped the bandage around Leah's wrist, not wanting her to see the initials, and to suffer through more trauma than she was already kneeling in.

Leah did notice the speed with which Alex was tending to her, but chose not to question and slowly laid back down, finally succumbing to the pain from her abdomen and multiple other scars on her body.

"Jay, get some painkillers for her."

Alex had immediately noted that Leah's initial shock had worn off. Fearing that the aforementioned's memories from last night might return any second, Alex tried to distract her.

With bright blue eyes staring right at her, he announced, "I am going to bring you some food. Take whatever Jay gives you with it, and don't move."

It seemed to have worked, because it apparently snapped Leah out of her relapse as she hung onto his words, like an anchor to a boat in a sea of storms.

She didn't know when she passed out again, but waking up to see Jay smiling his perfect teeth at her and cheering her to eat up the huge cartons of Chinese food he had placed in front of her, felt peaceful.

'I haven't had that in a while... how do they know it's my favourite?'

And as expected, no sooner had she thought about it, Alex smirked from the corner of her eye, as if he knew the answer.

After a greasy, hearty meal and a meek effort of persuasion submitted to Jay claiming she could not supposedly take one more of a bite, her gaze settled undeviatingly on Alex.

 She knew last night had been a disaster, and that the story was not yet complete.

"Do you want to know the rest?"

It was no question, since now that she had trekked up the path, she needed to complete the hike.

She slowly nodded, looking at both of them seated in her front, one giving her a look of commiseration, and the other glimpsing at her with mild curiosity.

"There's one thing you do not need to know about but..."

He sighed, side-eyeing Jay, then continuing.

"You have inherited a curse with your blood. It's not something that will put you into danger every time you use your powers, but I am afraid it can... kill you." 

He immediately averted his now purple tinted eyes, not wanting to see her face, because looking at her just made him imagine all the horrifying ways she could die.

"If even a drop of your blood breaks contact with your skin  without your wanting, you will immediately black out." 

Leah's gaze fell to her hands, as memories of her being beaten to almost death by her parents recollected on the surface, how she had immediately fainted every time after she was made to bleed.

"If you wake up... when you wake up, you won't remember where you were, and you won't know what had happened before you fell unconscious."

It felt like Alex could speak no more, as if one more word and he would break down into pieces, and there would be no one to put him back together, no one at all. For both of their sakes, Jay knew he was the one who would have to supply the leftover information.

"It's like a state of coma. If the blood you lost is not returned to your body within seven days at most, you will... you will die.", he ended, rubbing his forehead vigorously.

One simple gaze cast at Leah, and Alex felt something shattering within him, breaking his walls and inducing his senses with worry. 

It was his heart, it had broken up to her.

I am very emotional. *fake sobs*
Someone give me an Oscar already.