chapter nine

Eliza

Eliza

After my run, I'm due at the shop. It's located on the far side of the Village and is the only auto repair shop in Whistler, which is why it's constantly busy. What I love about working here is the atmosphere – everyone is happy and bubbly and there's always music playing in the background. I love the people I work with and the smiles on the faces of my customers when I tell them I've repaired their vehicle or simply changed the oil. I also love being able to get down on my hands and knees and get dirty. My mom wasn't too fond of me displaying an interest in becoming a mechanic in high school so she definitely didn't like it when I decided to go to university to become one. She wanted me in the culinary world or to become a journalist – anything that was a bit more feminine. The jobs she suggested were also fairly hands-on, but they didn't suit me. I am the type of woman that needs something to do. With an automobile, be it a bike or a vehicle, there's always something to do. People always need their oil changed or their tires changed from summer to winter ones. There are plenty of issues that people need help with, such as the transmission giving out or broken windshields. And whatever the problem is, I know how to fix it.

The tips are also really good.

I get a lot of weird stares from customers because of my oil-stained navy-blue jumpsuit, the dirt on my face, and my messy blonde hair that's normally tied up into a bun, but I don't let that deter me. I love my job and people need to get over the fact that a woman can be just as good with automobiles as men can.

"What's the damage, Sangster?"

Gus, the owner of the shop, is a sweet old guy that I've known for years now. While I was attending university, I babysat his granddaughters to make some extra money on the side. Any mechanic program isn't cheap and I had very little money left for food and clothes and bills by the time I paid for my semester and all the textbooks. Thankfully, Gus gave me every job he possibly could. He even let me come in and act as an apprentice while I was getting my degree.

I toss the oiled rag over my shoulder. "Well," I say, adjusting the zipper of my jumpsuit. "The clicking sound Mr. Hernandez was hearing was due to the failure of a U-joint. My estimation of the cost would be about four hundred and fifty – not including tax. I'm going to need to order the parts, which will take a few days, and then repair them. While he's waiting for his car, I set him up with the rental company we're partnered with so he has a method of transportation."

Gus jots down a few notes in his weathered yellow notebook before nodding his head in approval. "Perfect. Thank you, Eliza. I always knew there was a reason I hired you."

Rolling my eyes, I wave him off. When Gus hired me, I was in desperate need of a job because I was nearly broke from attending university. If anyone should be thanking someone, it's me. Without Gus's help, I would have ended up living on the street. My parents do live here, but ever since their divorce, they've become extremely annoying. Especially when they're around each other. They always try to outdo the other, continuously bragging about their lives and all they've accomplished. It drives me nuts. Which is exactly why I'd take the streets before living with one of them.