chapter seventeen

Leon

Leon

"I don't doubt, for one second, that you ain't gonna make it," Kit says, tossing back the rest of his whisky. "From the way you played golf back in university, it wouldn't surprise me if you became one of the most well-known professional golf players in the world."

I chuckle and shake my head. After everyone went to bed, Kit and I came back to the carrier house to have a couple of drinks. So far, I've only had a few sips of mine because I've been talking so much. Kit, on the other hand, has had several. I don't think he's going to make it make to the main house. Lucky for him, there are plenty of extra blankets and pillows in the hallway closet.

"Come on, man," I say. "Don't coddle me. You haven't seen some of the other players I'm up against. They are skilful and cunning when it comes to playing the game. Yeah, I'm close, but there are a few more steps I need to take before I can even compare to them."

Kit leans forward, his eyes swimming as he tries to focus his drunken gaze on me. "Alright, Negative Nelly, let's try a little somethin' my mama likes to call positive thinkin'."

I roll my eyes, remembering how many times Kit went through this with me during our university days. His mama must've drilled that saying into his head when he was naïve and small because I heard it over and over again. It was Kit's mantra when we were taking part in tournaments and other activities.

"I'm not being cynical," I argue. I take a small sip of my drink. "I'm simply stating the facts. There are others out there who have the potential of beating me out, Kit." I take another sip, staring out at the rainy weather. We're sitting on the front porch of the carrier house. It doesn't have much of a view, save for the driveway and mountains, but it's nice and cool out here and no one can see Kit and I from the main house.

"Nonsense," he argues. "Leon, man, you're goin' to make it into the PGA tournament. I know you are. Havin' years of hockey behind you helps immensely. You've had years to critique your shot, accuracy, and technique. Trust me, PGA is your next step."

Rather than waving him off, I stare out at the view in front of me, glancing up at the main house to where Liz is probably sleeping comfortably next to James. The thought makes me want to toss back the whole bottle of whisky on the table between Kit and I. It's hard to support her marrying someone else. And the more I spend time around her, the harder it gets. But I know I have to keep fighting the urges to be with her. I'm not here to ruin her marriage. I'm here to apologize and make things right between us. I'm here to right my wrongs and make sure she knows the truth. I just wish she would give me a chance. It's been impossible to talk to her. Whenever we get close to each other, she takes a step back and pushes me away.

Just then, out of the corner of my eye, I see two headlights light up the forest lining the driveway. Kit looks over in the same direction. "Who could be leavin' at a time like this?" he slurs.

"I don't know," I frown, watching the mysterious vehicle. "Isn't that Eliza's truck?"

"I think so," Kit replies. "Where could she be off to at a time like this?"