October 15, 2015

One clear piece of tape can't fix the evident tear. But it is a valiant attempt to keep it from falling apart. The map was the very last thing I had left to put up in my new place. It wasn’t above my headboard like before, but it was fairly close. I was hanging it on the wall adjacent to it so every morning I could see it when I woke up.

“Hey,” Ashton’s head popped in the room. “I was going to make some lunch, do you want anything?”

“No,” I sarcastically shoot at him. I follow it with a roll of the eyes and a smile.

“Geez sassy,” He enters. “I was gonna make myself a cheese toasty, do you want one?”

“A grilled cheese? Yes, I would love a grilled cheese.” I laugh at him.

“You’re so mean to me.” He jokingly pouts, crossing his arms.

“But you love me,” I grin, jumping off the chair I had been using to set up my map. “A cheese toasty sounds great.” I indulge him, even attempting to horrible mock his accent.

“You always sound British! Why do you sound British? You lived in Australia for nearly two years!” He laughs, leading me out of my room and down the hall.

“I am American. It is impossible to lose this accent, trust me, I’ve tried.” I assure him, placing my hands on his shoulders as he walked in front of me.

“Cheese toasteh,” he begins.

“Cheese toastay,” I repeat.

“No! You still sound British. I need to Australianify you.” He concludes, starting down the stairs.

“Australianify me?”

“Yes, it is the only way.” He states, jumping down the last few steps.

I shake my head, rolling my eyes again. “You’re so strange.”

“But you love me,” Ashton smiles, sticking out his tongue. He giggles as he scurries down the hall into the kitchen.

Our new home was still under construction. There was enough for the two of us right now, we figured we would furnish the rest when we had the money. So, for now the kitchen actually consisted of a collapsible table and two chairs, a stove, a microwave and a fridge. Had we not had my china, we might have been eating off of pizza boxes.

Actually, we had done that before. When we were moving from hotel to hotel, we were mostly eating pizzas straight from the box. Luckily, we had found this place and the previous owners let us move in quickly. We bought new furniture, even though we had to dip into my ‘spontaneity’ account a bit. It was worth it.