CHAPTER 10

Chapter 10: The Heroic Lifeguard?

BILLY Hargrove watched the bikini-clad Jean from his lifeguard post, smoke dancing in front of his face as he smirked at her through his dark shades.

The air surrounding the Hawkins Community Pool was filled with laughter and bright radio pop music.

After the time he flirted with Jean in his household, Billy never took her up on her offer to listen if he needed it. In fact, the boy had completely distanced himself from Jean from fear at what had happened. She looked him straight in the eye exactly how wanted to be looked at, she told him the things that he exactly needed to hear.

It freaked him out.

How she figured what he was going through was beyond him, Billy had suspected that his stepsister had opened her mouth and said something that suggested at his home situation. But when he confronted Max, she denied his accusations, saying that she never even spoken about him with Jean. And even if Max did tell her -which was untrue- when the redhead comforted him, she didn't gaze at him with pity, no, that would've driven him mad.

She was looking at him like she could see through his facade, as if she knew and seen exactly what he's gone through.

And little did he know, she did.

So as he stared at her from afar, he couldn't help but want to solve the mystery that was Jean Grey. And yet he didn't want anything to do with her all the same.

Jean had invaded his mind, every sleeping and waking moment of Billy's was spent thinking about her. He'd kept himself busy; working out, his job as a lifeguard, even doubled his action with the ladies thanks to his shirtless form at the pool. But through it all, she'd intrude his thoughts, unwelcome and unwilling to leave.

Billy was getting agitated about this.

Never in his life has he spent so much time brooding over some girl. He needed to do something about it, and quick.

Then, Billy realized; Jean was different than the other girls he's been with because he's never actually been with her -and not due to lack of trying.

Yes, that's what he needed. For her to get out of his thoughts and into his bed.

One good screw, and he'd get her out of his system.

He hoped.

~~~

Hawkins, Indiana was growing hotter and hotter by the day as the month of July approached, the redhead found. Babysitting Erica Sinclar, the occasional mall and pool visits is what seemed to take up all of Jean's time.

Lounging across a chair in the summer heat, Jean tuned out the cheerful screams and laughter of the Hawkins pool.

Erica seemed to be careless with what the redhead was up to as long as she didn't boss her around.

Purple pair of sunglasses covering her eyes, Jean allowed her eyes to travel to the tall, umbrella covered, lifeguard chair upon which Billy was seated. Although she'd been frequenting the pool for a while now for Erica's sake, she didn't speak with him since the time she'd seen his memories.

She was still amazed at what she'd done. It seemed there were still unexplored aspects of her ability that she still didn't fathom.

She had no idea.

It was partly frustrating for the redhead. Being allowed to relive others memories while no matter how she tried, she was blocked from her own. It was safe to say that Jean was beginning to accept that her own mind was fighting her. And if she were to pressure it, then she would only feel worse.