CHAPTER 11

Chapter 11: The Unsigned Love Letter

IT was a quiet in Scoops Ahoy, Steve and Robin only having a handful of customers on the slow evening.

Over the thirty minute period of his break, striking out words all day long, deleting and trying again, Steve finally came up with something to write.

He wasn't crazy about it, but it was the best he could come up with. He was afraid that if he tried with it for too long, worried that the jitters would take over and he would end up not writing anything at all.

The brown haired male was never the type to write stupid love letters. It was all Dustin Henderson's idea. The boy in camp wrote to Steve, since they've been corresponding over the past few weeks. Dustin suggested that Steve first attempt to show her how he felt through writing if he was unable to do it to her face. The curly haired boy had attempted this method with Suzie, the girl he'd been crushing on ever since he arrived to the science camp, and surprisingly, it worked. So he recommended it to a reluctant Steve.

Once his break ended, Robin ringed the bell for Steve to get his ass out of the backroom. Fumbling with the paper he poured his heart into, the former King of Hawkins High jumped to his feet, and gently shoved the card into his sailor shorts pocket.

Once the door swung closed behind him, Robin's eyes fell on Steve. "What were you doing, Dingus?"

"Uhh... Nothing." Steve terribly lied, stopping behind the counter. Robin, by the cashier, rolled her eyes, not caring.

However, her eyes soon caught sight of something sticking out of Steve's pocket. This time it wasn't his scooper that had her attention but a piece of paper that looked like a card.

"What you got there?" She asked, curious.

Steve followed her gaze. He berated himself when he saw what held her attention. He was quick to shove the card he had inside a book he had on the counter. "Nothing." He replied, feeling slightly panicked.

It was a rather dull thing to get hung up over, but with her hyper personality, when something really caught her interest, Robin was not one to be easily swayed. "Relax, I won't make fun of you." She said raising a hand. "Sailor's honor."

Steve stared at her taking in her facial features. Not a single feature she had held anything that made him not trust her. Despite her tendency to make fun of him, he felt a sense of security with the blonde girl, so he reached for the piece of paper and carefully handed it to her.

He grew nervous as she began to silently read it.

Your hair burns like rays of the sun.

I see, and I am lit.

For you are beautiful beyond compare,

The girl with crystal clear eyes and fire for hair.

Robin felt a sense of serenity go through her after reading the card.

Wow.

That was all Robin could think in her head. Steve actually wrote that? The dingus wrote that?

After a few seconds she was able to get a hold of herself. A light bulb went off in her head after re-reading the card again. Her gaze on him became unusually soft. "Is this for who I think it is?" She asked him, excited to hear his reply.

It had to be for Jean. It just had to.

Steve shook his head. "No." He lamely said. However, the knowing look Robin was giving him made him give into the truth. Like before he just felt like he could trust her with this. He ended up nodding his head "Yes." He answered her, lowering his eyes.