CHAPTER 13

Chapter 13: A Nightmare On Cherry Lane

SHADOWS hovered in every corner of the place. Black strangling veins snaked across the floor, looking for life to drain.

Darkness was seeping into Billy's skin, crawling down his throat. A looming figure took him whole, drowning him in a sea of black and muffling his screams.

A violent jolt woke Jean suddenly, and her eyes saw nothing but darkness this time. The window told her that the night was already rising, since the moonlight shone subtly through El's draped window.

Jean sat on the bed, feeling dizzy up to her head and knew at the moment that she could sleep no more that night. The dream had dissipated from her head and nerves wrapped around her. She took with her right hand the blanket that covered her body and quietly turned herself, careful not to wake Eleven. And then stood up before going to the door and opening it slowly, trying not to make too much noise.

The faint light that the lambs irradiated managed to blind her for a few moments, promoting her to squint.

The nervous Jean Grey looked both ways down the living room, and when she didn't see Hopper, she closed the door behind her and walked straight ahead, planning to go outside so she could finally breathe fresh air.

~~~

When Jean decided to call the Hargrove-Mayfield residence the next morning, she was reluctant at first. But she couldn't shake off the dreary feeling she had concerning the boy who ditched her the night before. She was worried that he wasn't okay.

At first, she had wanted nothing to do with Billy after he decided to stand her up with no phone nor an apology, but the nightmare she had concerning him felt so real that she felt physically anxious for him.

So she dialed the number and called.

Max had answered, and was surprised to find that Jean asked for Billy instead. The fourteen year old, despite being shocked at the request, told her that Billy left for his job at the pool.

Max's answer left Jean with the conclusion that Billy Hargrove was indeed okay. So he really just ditched her for no good reason.

She felt foolish for placing such high hopes on the damaged blonde.

All Jean's self berating got even worse when Max said that he was out late the night before, probably on a 'hot date with some girl'.

Max had speculated it was a date because she'd seen how well groomed Billy's appearance was when he left, and he had a smile that literally freaked her out from how wide and genuine it was.

She had no clue it was Jean he was going to pick up.

So, Jean naturally assumed that Billy stood her up for someone else. Perhaps a girl who was willing to do..things that Jean in no way had any intention of doing on a first date. She knew it, he knew it, so he just dropped her, probably.

So all her concern for him dissipated, and was replaced with distaste for the seductive lifeguard.

Currently, Jean Grey was at the mall with Erica.

The green eyed girl had to force her self to act happy and cheerful, even though being stood up by Billy Hargrove had soured her mood tremendously. Sleep hadn't cured her acidic mood either, seeing as nightmares didn't cease infiltrating her sleep cycle.

"I want the peanut butter chocolate swirl next." Erica sassily demanded of Robin Buckley who looked like she was on her way to write a suicide note.