CHAPTER 14

Chapter 14: The Sleepover

WITH a deep sigh, the red haired girl got off the bus and made her way to Hopper's cabin.

She was taken aback to see Jim not occupying the living room as usual, but what really gave her a stun was the sight before her when she opened El's bedroom door.

"Hey, Jean." Max casually greeted, and El simply waved at Jean after looking up from a magazine. The two girls looked at her like it wasn't the weirdest thing in the world that they were suddenly laying in bed next to each other and sharing a magazine.

"Umm? Hi, guys." Jean hesitantly said, still genuinely surprised at the other redhead's presence.

"We're having... a sleepover." Eleven announced, the word seemingly foreign to her but she sounded ecstatic as she said it.

Placing her bag on the bedside table, Jean looked at the two younger girls, her brows raised. "Really?"

Max sat up from her lying position, crossing her legs. "Yeah, but I'm good with sleeping on the floor."

"Oh, no, you don't have to." Jean shook her head and was quick to reject the notion, prompting El and Max to look curiously at her. "Actually this is perfect because I'm staying at Sinclair's tonight."

"Why?" Max asked, pinching up her face.

Plopping down beside the two on the bed, Jean sighed. "Erica will be alone in the house because her parents are off to get their family for uncle Jack's party." She declared, shrugging at the end. To her knowledge, Lucas was set to sleep at the Wheeler residence for the night, while she was supposed to stay with his younger sibling. Jean didn't mind, since she was getting paid extra. Also, despite her cold exterior, Jean enjoyed Erica's company, and she liked to think the same could be said for the ten year old.

Jean's green irises caught sight of the shopping bags labeled from 'the Gap' in the corner of the room. "Are those new clothes?" She asked, head slightly tilted to the side. She saw El's lips pursing and Max was quick to answer.

"Yeah, we went to the mall today."

Jean raised a shaply brow at the gutsy girls.

Both El and Jean knew that the redhead was meaning to take her to buy some new clothes, but she'd been so busy for the past few days that they kept delaying it. "You went shopping without me? I'm hurt." She joked, feigning being upset at Eleven. She was immediately riddled with guilt when she saw El looking down dejectedly.

"..Sorry."

"You don't have to be, I'm just messing with you." The tall girl shook her head, smiling. "You have good taste."

Her compliment made her reciprocate the lighthearted expression. "Thanks." She coyly said.

Her new style was really nice, Jean was sure Mike would love it. Speaking of which..

"So, no Mike tonight?" Looking at the time and Max's mysterious presence, Jean couldn't help but wonder what happened.

"We...broke up." El hesitantly said.

Jean frowned. "What happened?"

"He lied to her and said his Nana was sick when she wasn't." Max exclaimed, rolling her eyes at the mere thought of the Wheeler boy.

Seeing the dejected look on El's face, Jean placed a comforting touch on the heartbroken girl's hand. "I'm sorry. But maybe he had his reasons?"

"Doubtful." Max bit out.