CHAPTER 15

Chapter 15: The Makeshift Elevator

NIGHT threatened to embrace the small town of Hawkins once more when Jean and the rest stepped outside the now closed Starcourt mall.

Concentrating, and trying to tune out the troop's constant (and whispered) chatter, Jean placed two fingers against her temple. She closed her eyed shut and went inside the Russian guard's head.

After a moment alone with the redhead, Dustin and Steve suggested that Jean try and read his mind while they were on the lookout, before Erica could begin her voyage.

If they could find out what was in those boxes without entry, that would be a fantastic and completely safe approach.

"Why didn't we think of this before?" Steve asked Dustin, scratching his head. They had Jean, a girl who could literally read minds, how were they so foolish as to miss this point?

Jean, Steve, Dustin and Robin were lined up in that order, left-to-right, lying against the rooftop as they observed the loading dock from the top.

"Think of what?" Robin whispered. The blonde girl was completely in the dark on Jean's abilities so she could only look curiously at them.

Jean snapped her eyes open, huffing in disappointment and at her sheer stupidity. "He thinks in russian." She bit out, referring to the language barrier.

"Because of that." Dustin, holding his binoculars in hand turned to Steve, feeling equally as stupid.

Fair eyebrows scrunched, Robin looked at the three. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Nothing." Jean, Steve and Dustin chorused at once, only causing Robin's curiosity to peek.

Once the armed guard left, the troop waited a moment before contacting the Sinclair girl.

Radio static popped as Robin turned on the walkie talkie. "Erica, do you copy?"

"Mm-hmm. I copy." The ten year old declared, determination fluttering in her tone. "You nerds in position or what?"

"Yeah, we're in position. It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light." Robin stated.

"Be careful." Jean spoke over Robin's voice, fearing for the girl's safety.

"Green light, roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

At Erica's jab, Jean pinched her nasal bridge, her worry spiking. Lucas's younger sister was her responsibility, and if anything happened to her, it would be on Jean. "Can you please not call it that? You're making me feel worse about this whole situation."

Erica snickered. "See you on the other side. Nerds."

With a sigh, the redhead tried to calm her nerves. "If you see anything dangerous just head back, okay?"

"I'm not messing up my chance for eternal free ice cream." The dark haired girl scoffed.

A series of coughs and grunts came from Erica as she crawled through the confined space, as they heard it, Jean and Steve exchanged worried glances. Then they heard the young girl speak, "All right, nerds. I'm there."

"Do you-Do you see anything?"

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about." Erica announced. Satisfied smiles went up Dustin, Steve, and Robin's faces while nervously awaited.

"Any guards?" Robin asked, promoting for Jean to flinch in concern.

"Negative." Was the ten year old's flat out answer. And relief coursed through the group.