Chapter Sixteen - New Roommate

"You can stay in my room. I can set up the spare matress of the floor and if I gather some comfy cushions, blankets and bed covers then it should be--" Jay began, standing in the doorway of his bedroom.

"I appreciate all this stuff, I really do, but you don't have to do this for me Jay." Nya interrupted him.

"Yes I do. I want you to feel at home here, okay?" Jay gave her a reassuring smile. 

Nya returned the smile. "Thanks."

"So how about that matress?" Jay smirked.

"Sure." She nodded.

"Great. Do you mind giving me a hand?" Jay wondered.

"Of course I don't. It might help to take my mind off of... stuff." Nya replied awkwardly.

"Well you're safe now." Jay took her hand and held it tight.

"But he's still out there. What if he's hurt someone?" She began to panic.

"We won't let him." Jay told her.

Nya nodded slightly with a fake smile.

"Come on. Let's get your bed set up." Jay suggested, letting go of her hand. 

Jay lead her down the corridor towards the large cupboard where they kept the spare bed stuff. Nya was stopped by Katherine, who stood in front of her with her arms crossed. Jay hadn't even realised. He just kept walking.

"Hi." Nya said awkwardly.

"You even think about any funny business, I'll throw you out onto the streets." She warned.

"Wow. Nice to know that you care about others." Nya replied sarcastically.

Katherine glared at her. "At least I'm not rude like you." 

"You literally called me ugly!" Nya exclaimed.

"I don't remember that." She smirked.

Nya huffed. If she was going to stay in a safe place, she would have to learn to get along with Jay's stuck up, Aunt "Hilda".

Nya walked past Katherine and caught up with Jay.

"Everything okay?" Jay asked her.

"Just had a little catch up session with Hilda." Nya told him.

"For the last time, it isn't Hilda, it's--"

"Katherine. I know." Nya rolled her eyes. "Well whatever her name is, she's getting on my nerves."

"You two gotta learn to get along now though." Jay stated.

"Unfortunately." Nya muttered.

Jay and Nya stopped at the end of the corridor in front of the cupboard. Jay opened the door. Inside were two spare matresses, bed sheets, towels, pillow cases, blankets and cushions.

"Wow. This cupboard is--" Nya began, stunned.

"Large? Yeah, I know." Jay smiled. "My father insisted on getting a rather large house."

"Lucky." Nya replied.

"Not as lucky as you." Jay told her.

Nya frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"I mean, you survived, right? Not many people would." Jay said.

Nya froze, a little shock on her face.

Jay mentally face palmed. "Oh, I'm so so sorry! That sounded much better in my head! I don't know how, but it did! I'm so sorry! Please don't get mad."